DHCP problem

Quirkit

Solid State Member
Whenever i restart my computer i receive a DHCP thing showing it trying to locate a DHCP. I set up a network throughout my house. I'm not sure if my firewall has anything to do with it but i can't figure out why im getting hte message and how to fix/stop it.

A few things we need:
Is this wired or wireless?
What type of router is it?
Are all the other computers working ok?
Have you tried a release/renew?
If so, what error did you get?

You may have to flush the DNS.
You may have to repair winsock.
There is more, but it depends on what errors you are getting (other than the unable to contact a DHCP server).

its a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 ghz router, all the other computers are working fine, my computer is the only one directly connected to the internet through the router the others are on wireless pieces. i have tried a release renew, i don't know how. and i don't know how to repair winsock. Anything u can tell me would help. Thanks

Is this when you first turn the computer on, during boot? If it is then tap escape to skip it.

Yea it is during the boot and normally i do tap escape but i still wanna figure out why its doing it in the first place cuz this never happened when i first got my computer

have you played with any of the settings in the router, like the dhcp lease range? Have you tried updating the firmware on the router? What ethernet card do you have in the computer (inegrated) or pci? or have you recently upgraded the drivers on your pc's ethernet card?

Its integrated ethernet. I have no clue how to adjust my router settings although im sure that would probably solve the problem. I haven't updated anythign for my router just use whats ever on the cd lol. lemme know what i should do.

to view your router's settings, go to 192.169.1.1 in your url bar. The username is Admin, there should be no default password. there you can go to wireless -> status -> view dhcp lease. There you can see if you can find your computer, or you can type ipconfig/all from the command prompt to view your information. If you can get to 192.168.1.1 then you might want to check the ethernet cable, or card.

What do you mean if i can get to 192.168.1.1 i might want to check my ethernet cable?

Check in the BIOS to see if its trying to boot from a network device. It looks like its trying to connect to a PXE compliant network card

Back
Top Bottom