Desktop won't connect to router or modem

Haleyroach

Beta member
Hi

We have a cisco modem and belkin router.

This is at my parents house. The Internet and wireless was working fine when I left for England a few months ago. I came back to be told the Internet does not work. My mom said the ISP provider had a look and said something along the lines of "all your computers applications are gone". Don't know how accurate that is, but I don't know what it could mean.

The router works fine. The wireless light is on, but not the Internet light. All of the lights on the modem are on and the phone line works fine.

All of the cables are hooked up correctly. Have even tried bypassing the router and plugging the desktop straight into the modem.

The problem I am having is that the computer does not know that it is connected to anything. When going to the network settings, it said "not connected" even though it is connected to the modem.

I have a feeling it's something wrong with the computer, as the repairmen would not work on it since they "do not fix computers".

I was wondering if restoring the desktop to factory settings would help. It has a few viruses on it that I can't get rid if. They are anti viruses that are actually viruses.

Also, when I connect a laptop to the wireless, and go to the router's ip address, I can change settings but in the top right itnsays "not connected to Internet"

Thank you!

are you able to ignore the wireless router and plug your computer directly into the modem?

it seems to me that if there is no internet connectivity at the router, it's because there is a problem either with the modem, the router or the settings on either of those devices.

(ignore the computer for the moment)

As you mention that all the peripheral working properly but the computer doesn't recognoz to the any device so it is because of the port at which you insert the router is not working properly so first check it with another workable device.

Back
Top Bottom