Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-31-2016, 05:11 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Cookies

I have had a couple of messages this morning telling me that I do not have cookies enabled. I am using Firefox and have been into 'Tools' 'Options' but I cannot see any option to turn on/off, cookies, nor is there an option to allow sites to do so.

Am I looking in the wrong place.

Thank you.

Edit: Cracked it folks!

bluenose1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Cookies

May I just say that whilst you may have "cracked it" that response is singularly unhelpful to others who may have a similar problem. It is not the first time you have come on here and asked for advice and then sorted it yourself and not told anyone what you have done. You used to do exactly the same on another forum that you and I shared. This is a help forum and it would be helpful if you explained how you managed to "crack it."

pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:06 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Have you tried this:
(Copy pasted from google)

Go to the Firefox drop-down menu.
Select Preferences.
Click Privacy.
Set "Firefox will:" to Use custom settings for history.
Check the box next to "Accept cookies from sites" to enable cookies.
Click OK.

Do tell if it worked.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:20 AM   #4
In Runtime

[QUOTE=BikerEcho;12173354]Have you tried this:
(Copy pasted from google)

Go to the Firefox drop-down menu.
Select Preferences.
Click Privacy.
Set "Firefox will:" to Use custom settings for history.
Check the box next to "Accept cookies from sites" to enable cookies.
Click OK.

Well according to the OP he has "cracked it" without our help but without telling anyone how he "cracked it." I know how I feel about that seeing as though is supposedto be a help forum.

But there ya go that will be the last time I visit this particular thread.
pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Ohh. I didn't see that.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

I am going to have to agree with pete.i on this one. Its understandable if someone needs help, figures it out, and then says they have fixed the issue. I used to do this a lot myself, and got my butt handed to me for it. This thread will be helpful for the most part thanks to BikerEcho, but handing a question and then solving it without saying how confuses people looking up a similar issue.

*To Mods: I am not trying to start any type of fight, just giving POV.*
Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
May I just say that whilst you may have "cracked it" that response is singularly unhelpful to others who may have a similar problem. It is not the first time you have come on here and asked for advice and then sorted it yourself and not told anyone what you have done. You used to do exactly the same on another forum that you and I shared. This is a help forum and it would be helpful if you explained how you managed to "crack it."
My most sincere apologies folks, I did not see these responses until just now and was/am unaware that I had not complied with any 'unwritten rules' if that is the the way to describe things. I often need help when using my computer and have always been enormously grateful for all the help and advice that I get on here as was the case previously on the 'Computeractive' forum.
However, I also have to qualify things a little more by saying that although I have said that 'I have cracked it' in relation to a particular problem, I have to say that if you asked me shortly afterwards what I did, I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to tell you. I probably solved it by clicking here there and everywhere and by some fluke it worked but, if I don't write things down straight away I will forget. If I reset a password and provide answers to 'security questions' and don't write down what my answers are, then I will have a problem at some future time. I do now try to document things as often as I can but I don't always do it. I think, rightly or wrongly. that it is an age thing.
I offer sincere apologies to pete.i, BikerEcho and Draygoes, there really was no intent to go 'against the grain' as it were. I just wish that I was more knowledgeable with techie stuff and could help others.
I hope you will understand what I am trying to say and, many thanks again to all who have helped me. If it helps you understand a little more, I am on my way to 76, and so I have bettered the regulation 3 score and ten!
Not an excuse, but possibly a reason, for my failings.
bluenose1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:02 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

I think you guys are being unfair against bluenose1940, he had a problem with his computer, 5 hours later somebody replied on the forum, but in that gap of 5 hours he researched it himself and fixed it.

If you're going to complain about him not explaining himself when HE asked US for help, then I think it would only be fair to mention how long he waited for a response on his post. Somebody else knew how to fix it so posted the methodology anyway...

All you had to do was ask bluenose1940 how he fixed the problem, instead pretty all of you (except Biker, he just posted a solution) seem to have ganged up on the OP.

If this is a help forum (which it is) you should set a good example and not criticise the members simply for posting a query, then managing to fix it themselves. Sure I get the the point it would be nice to have the solution, but in that case, what was wrong with asking instead of doing such a provocative post?!

Then following up with "this is the last time I will visit this particular thread" after being unnececessarily unkind just because you don't want to see the backlash just isn't fair...

@bluenose1940 - You shouldn't have to apologise or admit a failing on your part here, since there was no failing, and nothing to apologise for.

@All - If you want to ensure that a community survives, then you'd damn well sure better be kind to your fellow members, or they simply don't come back...

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Apologies for the double post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygoes View Post
I used to do this a lot myself, and got my butt handed to me for it.
Then you know how unpleasant it is to have your butt handed to you, and should really know better

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote