Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default control & log in to domain user accounts & computers from administrator account

I often need to log in, physically or remotely, to workstations on my office LAN for some level of troubleshooting, where I specifically need to troubleshoot in the users account. This results in a lot of password sharing, whether the user is telling me their password over the phone, or I am asking the manager who keeps a master list (a huge pain to maintain).

Is there a way for the network administrator account to log in to client computers "as" a user account? Without resetting their pw from the server?

We use SBS2003 and XP & Windows 7 desktops....

Thanks....

karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: control & log in to domain user accounts & computers from administrator account

Everything I've experienced would require you either knowing their passwords, or resetting their passwords and logging in that way.

PvilleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: control & log in to domain user accounts & computers from administrator account

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina View Post
I often need to log in, physically or remotely, to workstations on my office LAN for some level of troubleshooting, where I specifically need to troubleshoot in the users account. This results in a lot of password sharing, whether the user is telling me their password over the phone, or I am asking the manager who keeps a master list (a huge pain to maintain).

Is there a way for the network administrator account to log in to client computers "as" a user account? Without resetting their pw from the server?

We use SBS2003 and XP & Windows 7 desktops....

Thanks....
You could use VNC. This would allow you to see the screens of remote machine - if the user was already logged in, then you could control their machine, and see what they are doing.

I wouldn't allow this remotely... not in the "traditional" way, anyway. You'd probably want to do it through a VPN, since VNC isn't terribly secure.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
JCB
Daemon Poster

you can use this software Free hardware inventory and software inventory for windows networks from the main menu you can type in the users name and it will find them on the network and you can control there PC
Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Baseband Member

I like how that link says "free" and the software is not free.
XENSERVER: Phenom X6-1100T 16GB RAM 1TB HD - smokes 10vm's with no problem
================================================== =====
The internet is under attack: http://adf.ly/1dneb
xtropx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
In Runtime

I think the OP wants a way to log into users accounts after hours or when they aren't there so he / she can replicate the issues and correct them. I'm not under the impression they wanted remote support solutions. If that's the case, both you and the user go to ShowMyPC: Remote Support, Desktop Sharing, Access Remote PC Free, Web Conferencing and do a PC sharing session, and you'll be good to go from there.

PvilleStang is offline   Reply With Quote