Connection Loss to Server

Ruben1

Beta member
Hi

I have a problem connecting to the server let me explain the situation

Server : is a normal PC being used as a server 64 bit system enough memory enough cpu power , drivers are upto date controlled antivirus on that I know really well no norton but there was norton on but system was formatted

Other PC's : Other computers had norton too but removed it with the Norton removal tool and cleaned out the registry

SO what basicly happens is the ppl use that server for office file server basicly like powerpoint files , excel files , word etc...

We checked the cables nothing is wrong , nothing is wrong with the router , checked the firewall settings and the file sharing on every pC and the server all seems well basicly that server and the users working on the pc , is so open to that server like the gates are wide open...

I need suggestion on what to do urgently

Please anything will help
Remember 5 people work on that Server

Hey,

OK first thing to try would be go to the server, open up CMD and type IPCONFIG and press enter.

You should see a load of information including IP address. Note this down.

Go to one of the computers that can't connect to the server and open up CMD and type PING "IPADDRESS"

replacing IPADDRESS with whatever you noted down earlier.

Let's see where we go from there. . . . .

It pings the server , I get a reply from that server but when I try to go on the file browser and connect with that is wont' work

Are you trying to go to the server using it's name or it's IP?

First try open "My Computer" or similar window, documents or anything that has an address bar.

Then try:

\\Servernam\
Then
\\ServerIP\

Let's see what we get.

OK you may have tried this but a restart is always a good option for the server and desktops.

After it has restarted you may want to look at turning off the firewall on the server and on the desktop just temporarily to see if it will work.

You can turn off file sharing on both the desktop and server then turn it back on.

Which is weird is that my Server can still connect to the user who has lost connection to the server and still browse their files but the user can't browse the server..

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

OK you may have tried this but a restart is always a good option for the server and desktops.

After it has restarted you may want to look at turning off the firewall on the server and on the desktop just temporarily to see if it will work.

You can turn off file sharing on both the desktop and server then turn it back on.

OK yea the thing is the restart fixed it but only for a little while then it happens again all over and firewalls are off

Are you using dynamic or static IP addresses?
How do you have the drives/connection mapped? By IP Address or by computer name?
What OS's on each computer/server?
How many people are having this problem? Just the one or all of them?
Did this just start (and it has been working fine until now)?

This has been an issue for over a year now I just got desperate.
All machines are using Windows 7 , everyone is having this problem to the server and it's Dynamic.. I want to know if I format all the PC's will it be fixed? because I have tried sooo many things now. and nothing is working and I'm jumping from forum to forum as ppl don't know what to answer anymore and the problem isn't getting solved. I am answering this questions over and over the whole time I know that PC inside out ... of all the questions I've answered ...

Have you tried to set the server to static IP address?

Have you tried to map the connections using computer name instead of IP address. (you didn't answer how this was done)

Have you setup a homegroup and made all the computers members?

Make sure that you have enabled file and print sharing on all the computers.

Have you checked the permissions on the shared folder so that the group "everyone" has access to them?

How are the computers connected? A router or switch or something else?

Can you go to Start>Run>\\server name?

Check the permissions to see if there is a limit on the 'con-current' connections (i think that's what it's called - where it limits how many people can connect at once). Not sure if this is an issue or if it's something you can set in Win7, but I think it might be worth looking into.

I can't say for sure that formating the computers will solve the problem.

A quick google search brought this up: Joining Windows 7 Homegroup breaks connections to shares - Super User. Don't know if it will be of any use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom