Connection a laptop to a home wireless network.

novahifi

Baseband Member
I have a Tiscali Broadband home connection which I am trying to distribute wirelessly amongst the other computers in the house. I have bought an ADSL Netgear wireless router and connected it and attempted to use a Sitecom USB wireless adapter in my 2650 Dell inspiron laptop. The connection my laptop receives however is only intermittent - for no apparent reason the connection keeps disconnecting, even when it is right next to the router. Is it likely that there is something wrong with the wireless adapter?

I have checked the windows XP firewall and it is switched off. I have however recently installed McAfee Total Protection 2007 on my laptop. Are there any problems associable with McAfee and wireless networks.

Thank you very much.

I'm running Tiscali through wireless as well, and there's no problems at all for me.

Sounds like a faulty adapter or router.

Thanks.

I'm testing to see if a netgear adapter on the other desktop works and if it does then that would indicate the problem is entirely with the laptop's Sitecom adapter.

if it connects to the network in the first place then it cannot be the firewall.... gotta be hardware.

it can stop your laptop from conecting to the network but your laptop should still pick up and attempt to connect to the network if it is in fact the firewall... because it connects fine i dont think it can be the firewall

Could ya possibly be getting interference from something, stuff like wireless tv signal boxes, cordless phones etc? Most routers allow u to change the channel for things like this. Also try disabling ya firewall on the laptop and see if that helps. Do ya know anyone else with a wireless connection in their home, if ya do then try connecting to their netork with ya laptop (to rule out ya card) and get them to connect to your router with their laptop(to rule out router problem)

I have connected another desktop computer to the Netgear router wireless connection by fixing it with a Netgear wireless adapter and it seems to be working for that computer. It may be that the laptop's wireless card is faulty.

Back
Top Bottom