Connecting two computers?

techi3

In Runtime
If I connect two computers with an ethernet cable how do I configure them to work as a workgroup? I want to be able to setup a share folder for them and practice telnet.

Just need a crossover cable, and set fixed IP for each machine. If I remember correctly. Set permissions for the folder. Easiest would be if both computers had the same username and password, and both same workgroup name. If it's only you who use them that's safe and ok.

scooby is correct on those points, pretty straightforward setup. To set your IP addresses you can use ipconfig (from a command prompt) or via the GUI using the following steps:

Apologies for any omissions, this is from memory and is for XP, but the options are the same in 7/Vista, just called Network and Sharing center instead

1) Open Network Connections
2) Right-click ethernet adapter and select properties
3) IPv4 option in the center window (choose from Windows Client, IPv4, IPv6 and a couple of others)
4) select the 'assign IP address manually' radio button and use whatever address schema you wish, conventionally 192.168.1.2 up to 192.168.1.254 with 255.255.255.0 as your netmask, 192.168.1.255 as your broadcast and 192.168.1.1 as your gateway (this is the address of your router typically, but the gateway doesn't matter for your 2 machine setup - THE OTHER TWO OPTIONS (netmask and broadcast) DO!)

On a tangential note, what about telnet are you trying to 'practice' - there is practically nothing involved (which is what makes it so insecure and obsolete these days), probably worth trying SSH afterwards for something that you'd actually use on a daily basis.

I want to "tether" the two computers that i own and allow them to share folders. Iwant to use my old compaq pesario v2000 as a computer to "dump" information to make my HP Pavilion 23 all in one faster but still use the compaq. the main plight is that i have lost the compaqs admin password and no longer have admin privilages. i still use my older account that is not a guest but is lower in privilages than admin. any help is apprreciated

Back
Top Bottom