Connecting printer to laptop directly via ethernet

jamesgiles

Beta member
Hi,

I have recently purchased a network printer (HP4100N) and I'm trying to connect it directly to a laptop via ethernet cable.

Is this possible and if so could someone talk me through the steps needed to make windows recognise it.

The laptop is running win 7 64

Thanks

My best advice is that you connect the printer to the router (it's also a good idea to assign a static IP for it), connect to the same network with your laptop, install the printer's driver on your laptop and create a new TCP/IP port for the printer.

If the device is a TCP/IP printer, you shouldn't have any problems with this method and the printer will be available to all of the computers on the network.

I haven't tried connecting a printer directly to a computer using ethernet cable but I guess you'll need a cross-over cable unless at least one of the ports are auto-sensing.

Why don't you try USB if you need a direct connection? (much simpler)

No it is not possibe. If you are going to connect it directly to your laptop then you'll need a USB cable. If there are no USB ports on the printer, then it will need to be plugged into the router.

(all as stated)

Back
Top Bottom