Connecting multiple computers?

techi3

In Runtime
In class my Professor was talking about botnets in that the bad guy uses his computer to take over a host and from there take over a string of computers called a botnet, each individual called a zombie.

I said all that to say all this...

I have several computers at home, all of which aren't very powerful. Is there an easy way to connect them all together to make my own personal botnet or mini-supercomputer? I basically want to combine all the processing power into one computer. I've seen it done with those Raspberry PI's and I remember reading that article back when the Air Force connected a bunch of PlayStation 3's together.

Air Force Unveils Fastest Defense Supercomputer, Made of 1,760 PlayStation 3s | Popular Science

Anyway, can I do the same thing with some simple cabling or do I need a switch/hub? I'm a bit lost but I think this could be a fun project. :D

There are two ways,
What you're thinking about is called a Beowulf cluster. (What the army did with play stations)
The bot net is a distributed cluster, but works the same way.
Then you can have grid clusters, using the plan 9 os, instead if sending work packages to discrete nodes, with plan 9 you can mount CPU or memory as a standard piped resource.

Back
Top Bottom