connecting a desktop to a laptops internet question

nope. you just need an internet enabled pc to download the drivers, and then a way to put them on this pc, such as via a usb drive.

Ok with the drivers, are there drivers for each part of the computer? Like is there a driver for the graphics card, sound card, internet etc etc?
My laptop is connected to the net, where do i go to download the drivers so that i can get the internet working on it and so that my gpu starts to work?

each bit of hardware needs its own drivers. you need the model number of each bit of hardware. if youve got the manual or book that came with it then it should say, otherwise turn off the pc, switch it on and go into the bios (usually press f2, f12, esc) and it might say. last resort is finding the make of the gpu and network card and then googling.

each bit of hardware needs its own drivers. you need the model number of each bit of hardware. if youve got the manual or book that came with it then it should say, otherwise turn off the pc, switch it on and go into the bios (usually press f2, f12, esc) and it might say. last resort is finding the make of the gpu and network card and then googling.

Ok i understand.
so back to the internet issue. Does the internet require a driver to make it work?

Ok i understand.
so back to the internet issue. Does the internet require a driver to make it work?

The Internet goes through the Network adapter (NIC). That requires a manual driver installation in 95% (if not 100%) of all operating system installations. What brand of computer is it? If it is a Dell and not TOO old, you can go to Dell's website and check for drivers by service tag number. Other sites just check the manufacturer by model #. If it's a custom computer, you may have to look at the NIC itself, or look up the motherboard.

just buy a wireless network card for your desktop. I picked one up for under $20. it will connect to his router along with your laptop.
if you need to share files with your laptop from your desktop, turn both computers on and look in "my network places" if you are using XP. you should see your laptop and visa versa.

Back
Top Bottom