Connect printer to wireless router (ethernet)?

ak47kgb

Baseband Member
I was wondering if it is possible to connect my printer (HP 6310xi) to my wireless router. Both have ethernet ports so I will be using my ethernet cable.

I wanted to do this mainly because originally my printer is connected to my desktop and I am using print share, but I'm getting rid of the desktop so the print share will be gone, and I still want to be able to print wirelessly from my laptop.

Thanks.

If your wireless router has wired ports then all you will need is an ethernet cable to connect your printer to it. If there are no wired ports on the router (very unlikely) then you can still connect the printer using a wireless ethernet bridge.

It has an ethernet port, but after googling it says I still need to set up an IP address for the printer??

Usually the default setting is to acquire an IP address automatically via DHCP. You will have to look through the menu settings on the printer and make sure DHCP is set to "ON" or "ENABLED". Also, the wireless router will have to be configured as a DHCP server (usually enabled by default). Just try hooking up the network cable and see what happens. Good luck...

There's an option in the driver software to install the printer over a network using an ethernet cable. Do you think if I choose that option I wouldn't have to do all those things you said??

It depends on if the driver installation software can automatically detect the printer on the network.

What if I just connect the ethernet cable to the printer and wireless router, and then do the "add printer" thing for windows

You will have to know the IP address of your printer if you do it that way. I would just connect the cable, restart the printer and print out a configuration sheet from the printer. Somewhere on that sheet you should see what the IP address is set to. Try the software that came with the printer first, though. It will probably be much easier that way.

in my experience with my HP officjet pro L7680. HP's software makes it hard to get it to work. it seems to be hit or miss. I've had to install the software on 5 computers and only 2 of them were able to automatically detect the printer on the network. HP support is no use either. they know less than I do.

install the software and wait for the part where it trys to detect the printer to set it up. don't continue if it doesn't detect it. you will have a nightmare getting it to work if it continues without setting it up. at least this is how mine is.

stop the installation if it can't detect it and start over.
if you are using linux HP makes awesome software and drivers for their printers. it's known as HPLIP. and you can download it from HP.
works a million times better than the windows drivers.

if you get it to work, don't unplug if from the router or at the printer again. it will never detect the printer again. it's a huge pain the way they made it.

and, if you turn the computer on and the printer is off, later when you turn on the printer, the software doesn't like to detect that you turned it on. you usually have to restart the computer. another huge pain the in butt!
hp failed on these drivers big time.

Actually... this is a very easy thing to do.

Don't use the HP Software!

Once you plug the printer into the router, it will assign an IP address to the printer automaticlly. Go to the control panel and click on Printers and Devices. Then click Add Printer. Select add Network Printer and it will find the printer sitting out there on the network as it's IP address is in the same pool as your network. Select the printer and it will then try to connect to the printer. At this point, it will start to ask for Drivers. Click on the Have disk button and go to the HP Printer Drivers CD and select Autorun.inf, this will automatically detect the signed drivers for the printer. It will then install the drivers that are needed... and only the drivers that are needed... to the computer. Viola! Network printer.

Back
Top Bottom