Connect to internet at startup

matt_999

BSOD
hi just a quickie, is there anyway of making my broadband dial-up internet connection to connect when windows starts up? thus the final result would be, boot computer, then when when logged on my internet conenction automatically connects.

regards
matt

matt_999 said:
hi just a quickie, is there anyway of making my broadband dial-up internet connection to connect when windows starts up? thus the final result would be, boot computer, then when when logged on my internet conenction automatically connects.

regards
matt

Hi Matt,

Description:
~~~~~~~
High-speed dialup, sometimes advertised as "broadband dialup", is an Internet service provider (ISP) feature that speeds up data transfer by using a special server, called an acceleration server, to act as a bridge between the user's dialup connection and a Web page. The acceleration server uses a fast broadband connection to request the Web page on behalf of the dial-up user. When the acceleration server receives the data it requested, it caches the page, compresses the data, and filters out any popup ads before sending the Web page on to the dialup user. To the average user browsing the Internet, the caching, compression, and filtering techniques can make a dialup connection seem up to five times faster than normal.

Solution: "Hopefully :)"
~~~~~~

(1) Auto-Dialing
============
Check your settings here: Network Connections/Advanced/Dial-Up Preferences/Enable Auto-Dial by Location/Uncheck all locations.

To view the list of names and addresses recorded by AutoDial, type the following command at a command prompt:
rasautou -s

To delete a name or address entry from the list: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Addresses

You can delete any TCP/IP addresses that you see under this key. Note that AutoDial can use IP addresses, DNS fully qualified domain names (FQDN), and NetBIOS names.

(2) Disable the "Log on using dial-up connection" Check Box
=============================================
During logon Windows allows users to optionally connect to a Windows domain using dial-up networking, this tweak can be used to disable that option. Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Value Name: RasDisable
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value), Value Data: (0 = restriction disabled, 1 = restriction enabled).

Create a new String value, or modify the existing value, called 'RasDisable' and edit the value according to the settings below. Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

(3A) ASDL/Cable Modem Disconnects
===========================
With some ADSL/Cable modems (especially USB) you may have a problem with getting disconnected after a few hours, here are two ways to fix that. Disable Hibernation and Disable Windows Messenger.

(3B) DSL Cable Modems Disconnects
===========================
Right click My Computer Icon/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager. Expand USB Controllers/Double Click USB Root Hub. Select Power Management and uncheck, Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.

I hope this helps you.

Back
Top Bottom