Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Computer wont access the Internet after avast internet security update

Hello,

Here is my issue. After I updated Avast Internet security I cannot browse to the Internet at all. Wireless says that is connected but it shows the yellow icon which means there is no connectivity.
  • If I check the ip configuration the computer gets a dummy ip 169.254.x.x
  • Tried ipconfig /release and renew but nothing
  • Tried resetting the ipv4 interface, winsock and flushdns but no internet after the reboot
  • I have removed completely the avast application from the pc but still same thing (did a reboot)
  • Disabled the windows firewall, same issue (did a reboot)
  • Checked for any strange software that might be under all programs but everything seems normal.
  • Tried to install avast again but the executable I downloaded apparently needs an internet connection so no luck there.
  • If go to the network properties to configure for example a static ip the properties button for the TCP/IPv4 is disabled (grayed out)
  • PC is running Windows 7

Not sure what to do anymore here. Thanks

allan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Prince
Default Re: Computer wont access the Internet after avast internet security update

Do you have another computer you can try to use your internet on?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Computer wont access the Internet after avast internet security update

Hi, Yes. a second laptop is able to connect just fine to the internet using the same internet connection.
allan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Try running malwarebytes antimalware (free version) on it. You'll have to download it on the other computer and save it to a flash drive. Then install it on the broken computer and see if it finds anything.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #5
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Try running malwarebytes antimalware (free version) on it. You'll have to download it on the other computer and save it to a flash drive. Then install it on the broken computer and see if it finds anything.
Just building on from this post check the task manager to see if any unusual processes appear and if any processes are using a lot of system resources.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
Baseband Member

I suggest SuperAntiSpyware it finds things Malwarebytes leaves behind you can find the free edition here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! . After you run that then do a system restore to a time when you no longer had Avast. I would download Microsoft Security Essentials and use that instead you can get that free here Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows . Microsoft has made a mess of other things but this really works.
Randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1 View Post
I suggest SuperAntiSpyware it finds things Malwarebytes leaves behind you can find the free edition here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! . After you run that then do a system restore to a time when you no longer had Avast. I would download Microsoft Security Essentials and use that instead you can get that free here Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows . Microsoft has made a mess of other things but this really works.
Would not recommend either of those products. Microsoft no longer recommends using Security Essentials and SuperAntiSpyWare is beaten by Malwarebytes was everyone recommends and uses it. Avast is very good antivirus that a lot members here recommend.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan16 View Post
  • Tried resetting the ipv4 interface, winsock and flushdns but no internet after the reboot
What exactly do you mean by that? And is the system set to use DHCP? Is there a secondary/alternate IP address configured for that adapter?

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
In Runtime

Umm. I would check for driver updates. And being a laptop I would turn the WiFi adapter off and on again.

Mossiac
Old 05-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Drop all connections ("ipconfig /release")
Open a command prompt with Admin privileges and run:
arp -d

Try that.