This computer will not connect to THIS internet!

Lej

Solid State Member
What in the world! I'm stumped!.. I've got a Point of Sale machine running Windows XP, which needs an ethernet wire plugged in to connect. When I plug it in, it says, Connected, and lists the speed as 10.0 mb/s or whatever.. But it won't connect! It trys to load google.com and takes about 2 minutes then just says failed to connect or whatever. I ran the network diagnosis tool and it said that the DHCP failed.. But we plugged the wire into 2 different laptops with the wifi disabled, and they worked fine!

We figured ok, so it must be the machine.. We tried connecting it at a different location, and it worked fine! It makes no sense at all! What could it be?

We tried restarting the router/modem multiple times.. I just don't get it.

It was a different network. I just used an ethernet to USB and it worked fine... SO weird

EDIT: When I said different location, I meant a whole different location as in different building. haha

Last edited:
I wondered that because it's possible the ethernet is set to use DHCP and the network requires it to be a static IP.

Did you have to configure the USB/Ethernet adapter or just plug it in and it worked?

I just plugged it in and it said "Local Area Connection Speed 10 mb/s" and then it was good to go!

Back
Top Bottom