Computer networking

mechboard

Baseband Member
I have a question about networking.

A company in an office park has two locations next to each other, with over 5,000 computers in each office space. Each office has about 17 floors and thousands of employees. They want to connect the two offices so that each one is accessible.

What solution would you offer? These offices do not need Internet connection, just internal, and in order for them to be able to communicate with each other, the network data packets need to route between the offices.

Since the comapny offices are not that far a part I thought LAN with routers will work.

Your advice and input is apprecaited.

Thanks

A lan would work. make sure you pay attention to how far you can send the signal before it degrades. if the distance is longer then the media wires recromemded distance before yuor signal degrades stick some repeaters in.

If you don't mind being asking what various hardware components, network topologies and routing would you suggest?

Thank you in advance
Mech

Couldn't/can't tell you. i have just began a coarse for networking in september. there should be other members around sometime that know more.

I think you should use the extended star network layout... Each floor can have have multiple switches that can be configured to network rooms or departments together. And these floor switches can be networked with other floors which can be networked with the other buildings...

You should use switches because they are much faster and have a doubled bandwith (utilizes full duplexing capabilities) and are less problematic than hubs . For example, data collision can occur with hubs because data can reach the hub at the same time which can cause packets of data to be discarded - just like a car crash at an intersection...

Switches are much faster and have doubled bandwith cause they form a logical, dedicated connection from the sending computer to the destination computer instead of sending it to all the computers in the network. With hubs, on the other hand, packets from nodes are pooled into one segment and sends it to all computers in the network which can slow the network down - like merging on a highway.

Back
Top Bottom