Choosing a router

dave391

Beta member
Hey guys,
So I have a question...
How can I determine which router is best for me? I have telus internet and am using the router that they provided but I notice that my netflix (and video rentals from cinemanow) need to buffer a lot.

Is there a router that I can choose to help me increase my wireless speed? How can a person find out which is best? There are so many options:hide:

Step one, you need to know what you're connecting with and what they require. If you have some old g-only wireless devices you might be best getting a router that can do 2 networks (1 g, and 1 n) at the same time.

But before buying a new router, are you sure that's your problem? How strong is the wireless signal when you're getting the buffering (assuming it's a laptop or phone where you can see this), is there any kind of major interference between the router and the device? And maybe most importantly, what kind of speeds are you getting from your ISP?

I'd recommend going here and posting your results so we can at least rule out your internet service not being fast enough.

In terms of finding what router is best, that pretty much depends on you and your needs. How many devices connect to the router on average? Are they all wireless N or better? What kind of price range do you have?

Our members here have a wide range of brand preferences too. I happen to love Asus routers while others like TP-Link. Short of maybe knowing what kind of wireless devices you have, if you can answer the rest of the questions for us we'll be in a great position to help you.

Back
Top Bottom