Choosing a NAS

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I plan on adding a NAS to my home network soon but, despite reading 2893629385928374 reviews, I'm looking for some pointers.

I want:

1TB+ of storage

RAID 5 (or some other form of fault tolerence...what's the point of a ton of storage if, as soon as you use it for a while, it dies and you lose everything? A NAS with no fault tolerance makes no sense to me.)

Print server

Bittorrent support would be nice...hadn't heard of this until recently. Could be handy but isn't necessary.

GB Ethernet a must (jumbo packets would be nice)

Anyone have one? If so, what do you have? Pros and cons of it?

I was originally considering an HP MediaSmart home server. Would that possibly be better?

I don't plan on doing anything terribly fancy with the thing. I have multiple computers, a couple that rely HEAVILY on external HDDs, and would like to centralize everything and have it all safe. Instead of carrying around an external HDD with all my music, videos and programs on it, I'd like to put all the music, videos and program installs on the NAS and access it all over the network.

All feedback appreciated!

I have a Lacie 1TB Networkspace with GB ethernet support. Wouldnt recommend it after having major problems with a lost partition in it last year.

Back
Top Bottom