Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-18-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to CarpeNoctem Send a message via MSN to CarpeNoctem
Default Certifications

I am just wondering what certifications everyone has. Right now I dont have any. I am currently enrolled in ccna3 at my high school and am enrolled in A+ next year (my senior year at HS).

*edit
Pressed Enter on accident, didnt fill out the complete poll so i guess there will not be a poll, lol....sry

Start using reputation points!!!
CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

What Level Certifications? Most of us are from Britain; so we generally do GCSEs before 'High School' and A Levels in 'High School', then Degrees and Doctorates?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Default Re: Certifications

it's certainly unusual to do a CCNA so early in life, certainly in the UK it's mostly offer t colledge or Uni students (or perhaps that is because the students can do it from fre there, whilst the courses cost hundred outside of state education).

I'd like to work towards an A+, but am thinking about taking MSCP exams first, mostly because I thin hey are more respected within the indusrty.
(note I also plan to take the simillar level of Linux qualification, do intend to take A+ certifications (note the plural) and intend to apply to go on an Oracle DBA course at work sometime in the near future...).

At the minute my only IT type qualifications are an A-Level in IT (which means basically nothing) and I have a degree in electronic engineering, (which counts for a bit more, I also have what started as somethin of a hoilday job, and is not a full time career and that working in a software house as a network admin... You can get whatever qualifications you like, but if they arn't backed up by experiance then they arn't worth the paper they are writen on.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
Guru

Yeah; generally I don't like Industry Certifications but even I would like to do an MCP. Don't know what I'd do before that, either an MCAD (Application Developer) or an MCSE (Software Engineer).

They're expensive though! Or I'd start them now! Its crazy!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:43 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

I am trying to take all of the IT certification classes I can get in high school. THEY ARE FREE!!

Old 10-22-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
Guru

Well yeah; but most will be crap Level Courses. Microsoft Certifications are the Highest!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

The courses offered at my school are CCNA, CCNP, and A+. Some schools in my district have Net+, so if i wanted to I could go to a different school for an hour and a half and take Net+. But that would be retarded.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
Site Team

The Cisco qualifications are very valuable. I would recommend those.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to athlon64fx

well veendor nuetrals are best cause not everyone useses cisco. most fo the top 25 and 50 webhosts use juniper routers and foundry swtches. due to the hassle of the cisco IOS and also the fact not everyone can afford cisco and also the networkign acaadmey isnt made of muhc networking. it mostly covers the Cisco IOS for three semesters. only one is useful ineveryday networking and is the most valualbe withich is teh first sem. the rest are too complex for classroom environments are are best done "on your own terms" rememberign all those commmands are impossible and cisco could at least give you a GUI to help administer the system easier and faster.

thats cisco;s number one problem and why others are swtiching to other brands. the IOS is kinda weak and often will not let you knwo of any discrepenies with any of teh commands you entered in, in fact it lets you " break" it by not telling you any incompatitibilites in teh prototols youve just configged

athlon64fx is offline   Reply With Quote