Cat 5e crimping question.

Churla27

Baseband Member
I just got done criming ethernet cable. My question is, is it alright if the ethernet plug is clamped on the copper wires, or does it have to be clamped on the sheath? I think when I made the cut, they were a little too long but I clamped it anyways. But now that I think of it, I dont want it to mess up anything. Help please. Thanks.

Redo the cable and clamp it on the sheath. Without the sheath in there it may not hold correctly, it'll just pull out with a little force. Without the sheath in there it may also be prone to crosstalk. That, and it looks tacky. :)

I got called yesterday at work. Some company was having network connectivity issues with just one computer. I loaded up my cable, my crimping tool, RJ45s, and my cable tester. Right when I got there I saw that whoever they had install their network (AND make their cables) sucked at it. They, too, did not crimp the RJ45s on the sheath.. they just left the cable bare for a quarter of an inch.

All I did to fix their problem was cut the cap off and recrimp (with one of my RJ45s) with the sheath inside of the RJ45. Worked like a champ. I guess that goes to show that not crimping right can cause down time... :) Just coincidence!

-Q

Well thats actually good to know! I'm still new to crimping but I can get it working but sometimes I crimp it on the wires! Thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom