cant get internet thru ethernet cable!

If it's not connected to a router, does it require you to have any type of authentication program on the computer to establish a connection?

If it's not connected to a router, does it require you to have any type of authentication program on the computer to establish a connection?

Well I'm not sure when I call at&t they said if I put a router it was gonna by pass don't really understand the whole thing but they said I don't need to connect a router to it.

Did you ask if you need some kind of software application to initiate the connection? 9 times out of 10 you need one if you don't have a router when using DSL.

Did you ask if you need some kind of software application to initiate the connection? 9 times out of 10 you need one if you don't have a router when using DSL.

No, I didn't think I would need one I thought it was just by plugging the Ethernet cable

No, many DSL connections still need something to tell the network that the computer connected to the ethernet line is authorized to use the internet. Since you don't have a router odds are you need an application to do that. If AT&T didn't give you a startup disk, you might need to call them again.

How about this, post the model number of your DLS Modem. I'm willing to bet, with ATT, that's all you need.

Go to your DSL modem and unplug the phone cable, then the power cable. Leave both unplugged for 30 seconds, then plug in the power cable, THEN the phone cable. See if it works. You have a phone cable plugged in your modem, correct?

There are a few lights on the front of your ATT DSL modem. One for internet, one for DSL, and one (or more) for activity on a computer. Those will be labeled with a number (depending on how many ethernet ports there are. There may even be a Wireless light.

Tell us what color those lights are on your ATT DSL Modem. Should be something like this

DLS: Green
Internet: Green
Activity light (number 1): Green
------------
Now back to your computer. When you plug your ethernet cable in the back, you said there is only one orangle light? Is it on top or on bottom? Is it solid or is it blinking?

With your ethernet cable plugged in I want you to look at your keyboard. You'll see a Windows button (will have the windows logo on it) on the bottom left of your keyboard. It is right in between the CTRL and ALT keys. Hold that down and press the r key. A small box will appear. In the box I want you to type in

cmd

and press enter or "OK". A black box will appear. In the black box I want you to type

ipconfig

and press enter. Scroll up through that big long message and you should see

IPv4 Address....................................(then a number here) 10.6.50.4 (that's just a random number)
Please post your number here.

Once you see the number and record it I want you to type this in the black box

ipconfig /release

and press enter. Tell us what it says there. Once you can start typing again (may take up to a minute) type this in

ipconfig /renew

and press enter. Tell us what it says there. While doing all of this I want you to look at your ATT DSL Modem and see what color of lights are on. Are they all still green? Please post if they are all still green, or if one turned red.

Once that is done I want you to type this in the black box:

ping 127.0.0.1

and press enter. What does it say now? Does it say "Reply from..." four times? Please post that.

If none of that works, leave all cables plugged in. Go to your DSL modem and unplug the phone cable, then the power cable. Leave both unplugged for 30 seconds, then plug in the power cable, THEN the phone cable.

After posting all this (and please do) we can troubleshoot further. OR you can call ATT and tell them your internet has not worked. Tell them that they guarantee for the internet to be up most of the time and it has been down for (however long it has been down). Demand that they have a technician come out free of charge.

Good luck buddy :)

-Q

No, many DSL connections still need something to tell the network that the computer connected to the ethernet line is authorized to use the internet. Since you don't have a router odds are you need an application to do that. If AT&T didn't give you a startup disk, you might need to call them again.

Ok thank you so much that's what I'm doing this moment ill post you guys later and see what they tell me thanks a lot for your guys help.

Well now that I try I could connect and get internet on a laptop

-_- Yes. If you can get internet on the laptop, your router is built in. Like most modems these days, especially from ATT.

If you don't want to try anything in my post, simply take your computer to someone elses house and plug it in. See if the internet works.

Hell, take your modem and YOUR cat5 also. Hook it up at his house and see if it all works. I would do this AFTER plugging my computer into HIS modem.

If you feel like it, go ahead and post the model number of your modem.

-_- Yes. If you can get internet on the laptop, your router is built in. Like most modems these days, especially from ATT.

If you don't want to try anything in my post, simply take your computer to someone elses house and plug it in. See if the internet works.

Hell, take your modem and YOUR cat5 also. Hook it up at his house and see if it all works. I would do this AFTER plugging my computer into HIS modem.

If you feel like it, go ahead and post the model number of your modem.

Thank you captain pooka... For your comment I just saw your first comment and going to try it. But first let me say what happen with at&t on the phone, they told me that I could just connect it and be able to get internet also he was telling me something about a driver card and Franklin I'm not sure if I have it or know what it is, I recently upgrade to xp and was having trouble with the visual. And audio I updated the driver but those were the only two one.

Oh.. that explains it. It's a new install of XP. You need to install all of the drivers... Take a look here for me please :)

Press Start, right click my computer and go to properties. Go to the hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Are there any yellow question marks on that list? What do they say?

Here are the drivers:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=PLX_PNT_P4_GX260&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Let us know if you need any clearification.

Good luck!

-Q

Back
Top Bottom