Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Can't access the internet

Yesterday I was trying to remove unwanted files/programs from my computer through the "Add/Remove programs" icon. I ended up deleting some Windows 2000 Hotfix KB??? files, about 3 of them.

Now I tried to open Internet Explorer then I get the message "Can't find 'www.wits.ac.za' Make sure the path or Internet address is correct". (www.wits.ac.za is my homepage}After I cancel that it does open the browser but nothing comes up.

Then on the address bar I type an address say 'www.yahoo.com' then I get a reply on the address bar "C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Administrator\Deskt op\www.yahoo.com". At the top bar there's a message 'Cannot find server - Microsoft Internet Explorer' and on the page 'The page cannot be displayed'. Once I load MSWORD and type the address on the page and click on it...the page does come up but not when I click on the IE icon. I did a Windows Update on the same PC and I went through the process of installing the recommemnded Hotfix Files but I still experience the problem. Please help....

System specs windows 2000 pro
Pentium III, 1 GHz, 128 MB
20 HDD....Thats all I know

System specs windows 2000 pro
Pentium III, 1 GHz, 128 MB
20 HDD....Thats all I know

Tshimega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
Solid State Member
Send a message via MSN to rhys

the easyiest, way to fix something like this is to cheak that all your internet Connections are plugged in and are properly in and if they are in and u are running the internet off another PC in the house / Office then you will go it though neighbourhood what ever it is called but if that doesn't work then what you might hve to do is re - formatt the computer that would be the easyiestway to do it and then make sure u have everything correct -
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote