Cannot connect to master server?...Wha?

fetus

In Runtime
I just moved into my dorm room and when I go to try and test out the connection on a game I get the message "Cannot connect to master server" or something of the sort. Anyone have any ideas as to what coudl be responsible for this?

I think it has something to do with the fact that the school may have blocked certain ports, namely those used for gaming, so that they could spare the connection speed of others. Does anyone know of a way to bypass this?

Your not going to be able to bypass your colleges firewall. Your only option is to switch to a different network.

like a could get dial-up right?...like...high-speed dial-up..anyone know if that's as good as they say it is. Supposedly it's nearly as fast as dsl but i doubt that.

"high speed dial-up" is simply put a gimmick. There is no way it is nearly as fast as dsl, an average dsl connection has a rating of 1.5/384. Dial-up can't even match the up rating, let alone the down. You definetely won't be able to use the colleges internet access for online gaming, perhaps you should consult the colleges tech department and ask them what your options are. You will have to get an alternate connection of some kind though to play your game for sure, unless you can convince the techs to open up their firewalls, and I doubt they would do that.

Just a question to clarify.... Can you get to the internet? If so then x0r515t is right, your not gonna be able to get passed the firewall. Talk to them like he said and who knows they might tell you something you can do. Ask around campus to other people and see if they can do online gaming? If you can't then everyone should not be able to. Also depends what port the game is using. Some games might work and others might not.... might just be chance to what ports are open. Sorry man.

Back
Top Bottom