Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Beta Member

Question Can you explain this please??? (DNS)

Ok I am a little confused about this but I don't really know much about DNS yet.

Say I was to host my own DNS server.. what is stopping me assigning any domain name I like (providing its available) with out going though domain registers?

Surely that way I can host for example www.availabledomain.com for free using my own DNS servers and pointing it at my own hosting servers?

sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to burn420 Send a message via Yahoo to burn420
Default Re: Can you explain this please??? (DNS)

Sanserson - That is a great idea, the problem there is that unless you have your DNS server registered, no one will be able to use your service... If I remember correctly registering a DNS server is only like 5 bucks a year if that.... (I could be wrong)... It is always good to make sure more then a couple DNS servers have you on their list as well, otherwise, your hosts won't be able to get reached...

Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson View Post
Ok I am a little confused about this but I don't really know much about DNS yet.

Say I was to host my own DNS server.. what is stopping me assigning any domain name I like (providing its available) with out going though domain registers?

Surely that way I can host for example www.availabledomain.com for free using my own DNS servers and pointing it at my own hosting servers?

The DNS record would not be propogated across the internet. Your DNS server may think that domain belongs to you, but nobody elses will. Your server doesnt have the authorioty to spread the record across the internet.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Beta Member

Thank you very much! Its good to know I haven't got completely the wrong Idea about what DNS servers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn420 View Post
If I remember correctly registering a DNS server is only like 5 bucks a year if that.... (I could be wrong)... It is always good to make sure more then a couple DNS servers have you on their list as well, otherwise, your hosts won't be able to get reached...
Do you know how can I register one? and how to get listed on other DNS servers aswell as my own, I have a few servers I think they could all run a DNS service... I also have 2 broadband connections (if that helps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
The DNS record would not be propogated across the internet. Your DNS server may think that domain belongs to you, but nobody elses will. Your server doesnt have the authorioty to spread the record across the internet.
How can I gain this authority? Am I correct in thinking it will work for if i register something like wwww.myserver.com to my DNS and then try to vistit that address in my browser I will get taken to the correct address but only if i am accessing it from my network?
sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote