Broadband speed

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Does anyone know which is the most reliable and accurate speed test available for use.

I have just gone over to Sky Fibre and have tried a couple of speed tests and they give quite differing figures.

Many thanks.

I have run these tests again this morning and got the following results

EDIT Just as I thought, the figures didn't show as planned and so to clarify, the first figure (ms) is the PING, the second is the download and the third is the upload. I expect you all know that anyway:whistling:

Internet Speed tracker (no PING figure) 5mbps 3mbps
Speedof.me 42ms 27.3mbps 8.65mbps
Speedtest.net 19ms 27.9mbps 9.49mbps
Ookla <1ms 34.98mbpps 14.35mbps
Broadband Speed Checker 78ms 16.97mbps 7.95mbps

Do these people use different methods of checking the speeds and if so, why? Surely some must be right and some must be wrong, but which is which?

I hope that the figures shown appear in their correct layout when I click on 'Post' as sometimes when you do similar in an email they end up all over the place!

Last edited:
Lots of things will affect your "percieved" speed by various speed testers not the least of which is which server they ping to determine your internet speed. I always use BTW Performance Test with the idea that they own the telephone lines so they aren't going to cheat you. (Not much!!!) You do need Flash for that one but a non-flash one is the Ookla beta site Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

They both give me slightly different results at different times of day. I think any speedtests you do with whatever speedtester you use is only a general indication at that particular time.

Thank you for your input folks. What is really puzzling me is the test done by Internet Speed tracker. I have just this minute run theirs again and once more the figures are 6mbps download and 3mbps upload.
How on earth can they be so far adrift of the others?

Like Pete said there are a lot of things to take into consideration. How many devices on the network, is the device (assuming its a computer) connected via ethernet or wireless. As for your speedtests it can also depend on which server has been selected and the distance between it and you.

Speedtest.net allows you to pick a server to test against, it also does it automatically if you don't do it before starting the test. Maybe this specific point is different in other speed test websites!?

I use speedtest.net and speedof.me

Well running mine through these two are fairly consistent.
Speedtest.net 59.27 down 12.17 up
Speedof.me 61.86 down 9.26 up
We pay for 60 down and 15 up
Using my subtract 5 rule, these seem with in the bounds of being fairly consistent.

Ok here's a suggestion. Take a reading 3 times a day at the same time. Morning, mid day, and evening. Do them as close to the same time each day.
Record time and date along with the results. Do this for the entire 7 day week noting what day.
You'll see a pattern of how fast versus how slow at what time and what day. Networks are never the same hour to hour, day to day.
And I'd use the ones crazyman143 suggests. Seem to be fairly consistent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom