Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default blinking lights

Hey guys, i got comcast high speed about a month ago. The first 3 weeks it worked great. Now when i want to get on teh net, i usually cant becasue the lights on the modem are blinking. Can someone tell me how to resolve this. Thanks....

minotauro4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: blinking lights

pull the plug on the modem, then plug it back in after 20 seconds and wait 10 seconds. your internet should work....

evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Yeah thats what i do, but smetimes it doesnt work for hours at a time. Before i go to bed is it a good idea to turn the modem off.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

no it is not because a modem is made to run 24/7
Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Solid State Member

I actually tried to unplug it for 20 seconds, and it worked fine for about five minutes. So did you say to turn it off at night or not
Old 03-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Golden Master

dont turn it off at night.

or what u could try is just unplug it for ONE NIGHT ONLY and then see how it works the next day
Old 03-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

It sounds like you have a defective modem, or you're signal-to-noise ratio is too high on your line. Are you using a splitter on the cable line coming to the modem? For example, is that same line feeding a digital cable box as well? If so, the signal may not be strong enough- the modem really needs it's own line. If that's not the case, you need to call Comcast, and have them check the signals on your line- this is something the rep can do when you call. If they can't tell you anything, don't let them blame it on spyware- tell them to send someone out (although it could be spyware if you have no protection).
pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Baseband Member

If it's your modem blinking, it's not spyware. If over-the-phone troubleshooting doesn't work, tell them to send someone over. It's either a defective modem, bad wiring, or just something on their end. The splitter could be the problem, but a properly working splitter won't affect you badly enough for you not to be able to connect. It might slow down the internet, but it won't block connection.
Freak4Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
Solid State Member

I just looked at the splitter, and one side of it is connected to the modem, and the other side is connected to the T.V. So im guessing the problem is the T.V should be unplugged when using the internet.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4Dell
If it's your modem blinking, it's not spyware. If over-the-phone troubleshooting doesn't work, tell them to send someone over. It's either a defective modem, bad wiring, or just something on their end. The splitter could be the problem, but a properly working splitter won't affect you badly enough for you not to be able to connect. It might slow down the internet, but it won't block connection.
Spyware always has the possibility of keeping you from getting on the Internet. What if the spyware is affecting DNS, and the person doesn't know to try and ping the IP of a Website, instead of the name? So it's possible (although not with this issue). Troubleshooting over the phone usually doesn't work with these types of issues- simply because if the rep does fix the problem, it's outside of what Comcast supports. I don't think the splitter is the problem, its the SNR (signal to noise ratio) that is causing the problem. If the signal is not strong enough, you're tv can work fine, and the modem will seem like it's connected, but won't connect. They will be able to see the signal levels when this user calls in. If you disconnect the TV from the splitter, and the Internet works, you probably will need an amplifier installed on the line- at your cost unfortunately.

pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote