Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-06-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Big networking problem.

Hey. I was helping my friend fix up his computer a little (it was bogged down with spyware and nonessential programs running at startup) I was also going to defragment but he said that it doesn't work cuz he's tried and it just stayed at 1% for over a day.

At any rate, his internet connection was working fine through most of the process, but when i was nearly finished uninstalling stuff he no longer uses from the Add/Remove Programs, I tried to get online and it wouldn't connect. I rebooted and it still didn't connect. His brother's computer which is going through the same router is still working fine but his does not work. I've even plugged the cable modem direct into his computer but it doesn't work. When connected to the router and with his IP manually configured (as opposed to the DHCP the router normally uses) I can ping both his brother's computer and the router itself but i can't access the router's HTML setup page or any outside IPs. I've updated his NIC drivers, reinstalled the NIC. Changed about every TCP/IP setting I can and still nothing. Am I missing something? Please help!

Nick

(P.S. He's running Win XP home on a HP Pavilion)

scrippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default Re: Big networking problem.

I'm pretty sure you accidently deleted some kind of important system file when you were cleaning out the hard drive. That happens to me quite a bit, because i always get a bunch of unorganized programming projects, music, and school work all over the place, so when i go and delete it, all of a sudden something crashes. Your best bet would be either to reinstall every driver for the system, or try something like, check every process that his brother is running through the task mananger, and find out which task isn't running on this computer. That might be the link to the problem. If all else fails, backup all the data and reformat the system.

PS. Nice timing, you put your post up at 1 AM.

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to athlon64fx

try using the reapir option instead of clean reformatting if files are deleted....

reboot your system and insert the windows xp cd....
choose the repair installtion when you get the the options and it should bring back your TCP/IP networking files!
athlon64fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:16 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Hmm yeah, that might work too.

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:22 AM   #5
Beta Member

Thx guys. I checked out his computer a bit and found out that HP did the first intelligent think i think i've ever seen them do. His computer was prebuilt with two partitions. One of them is a recovery partition which contains all the vital drivers and everything essential to run the HP Recovery Utility. Ran it (took two tries since he prematurely rebooted his comp one time because he thought it locked up) and he's back online now If anyone else ever has a problem with their HP machines, i highly reccomend this. It put everything back essentially the same way without the printer or soundcard installed. Thx again for the tips.
scrippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrippman
Thx guys. I checked out his computer a bit and found out that HP did the first intelligent think i think i've ever seen them do. His computer was prebuilt with two partitions. One of them is a recovery partition which contains all the vital drivers and everything essential to run the HP Recovery Utility. Ran it (took two tries since he prematurely rebooted his comp one time because he thought it locked up) and he's back online now If anyone else ever has a problem with their HP machines, i highly reccomend this. It put everything back essentially the same way without the printer or soundcard installed. Thx again for the tips.
Glag you got it working, well done to HP!
Old 11-07-2004, 07:52 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Lol
Dynamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
Baseband Member

or just use the reinstall disk for the modem. That would be much easier, thats if u didn't lose it.

- 2.4 ghz
- 120gb
- 768 DDR SDRAM
- 768 KBPS DSL Connection
- 9200 128mb PCI Adapter
sean82007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:01 PM   #9
Baseband Member

i've got hp and back up my files and do that once every two months.

- 2.4 ghz
- 120gb
- 768 DDR SDRAM
- 768 KBPS DSL Connection
- 9200 128mb PCI Adapter
sean82007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Well by saying to reinstall the drivers...I included that sean... and dont double post