Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Best Network Attached Storage

Hello, I am interested in a way to share files (such as photos, music, and videos) with those on my home LAN. I have seen many different NAS devices, but I was wondering if it was possible to simply build your own rather than spending money on a whole new setup.

Some of the devices that I saw had expansion bays, as well as the ability to expand storage VIA USB hard/flash drives. I currently have a 250GB USB drive and an old 80GB IDE drive which are just sitting around and I was wondering if I could build/purchase a barebones NAS and then install these devices for the actual storage.

Is this possible or is it just more work than it's worth?

-Ian

Data Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Best Network Attached Storage

Do you mean like take your drives and make them into a NAS instead of buying one already built?

If so yes, it's possible. All you need to do is to buy the NAS enclosure.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Yes that is what I am looking for, but would a enclosure be able to take USB IDE and SATA? I am looking to have a mix of the 3.

-Ian

PS- I do have an older computer that I have laying around... perhaps it would be easier to wipe that and install a linux OS on it and use it as a server? If that is an option, what flavor of linux would you use? Is it plug n play for the most part?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

I wonder if Windows Home Server might be sufficient. I haven't worked with it yet, but it's my understanding that it basically takes every hard drive and combines them into one large drive ... i.e. 250gb + 80 gb = 320gb combined drive. I think MS is keeping in mind those home users that don't understand RAID would find this useful. And if your goal is to have a home use file/media server ... this might be enough. 'Course you'd have to dismantle your USB hard drive and connect it directly to the motherboard ... and have a regular box to put it all in.
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Solid State Member

I have looked into MS Home Server before and found it interesting, especially as they do claim to have some odd form of redundancy that doesn't require RAID... anyway I was hoping that there would be a flavor of linux out there that would help keep me from needing to spend 150 bucks on an OEM OS. (If I must dismantle my hard drive, I will, but I would REALLY rather not.)

-Ian