Belikin F5D7320-4 wireless router setup (Away from modem)

fogel1497

Beta member
The setup in my house is as follows:

We have computers, laptops and desktops throughout the house, and they all plug into Ethernet jacks in the wall. Then the wires go through the walls and down to the basement. There all the wires plug into a linksys router which is connected to our modem. The internet works everywhere.

I have a Belkin F5D7320-4 wireless router laying around. I want to set it up so that I get wireless in my room. Which means I cannot connect the wireless router directly to the modem downstaris in the basement; because their would be no wireless signal upstairs in my room.

Is it possible to plug an Ethernet cable into the wall in my room, and the other end into the wireless router, and somehow setup a wireless network like that? How would I go about that?

Things I already tried
I tried just plugging one end of a cable into the wall and the other end into the wireless router, then plugging the power to the wireless router in, and then trying to find its wireless signal but could not.

The setup in my house is as follows:

We have computers, laptops and desktops throughout the house, and they all plug into Ethernet jacks in the wall. Then the wires go through the walls and down to the basement. There all the wires plug into a linksys router which is connected to our modem. The internet works everywhere.

I have a Belkin F5D7320-4 wireless router laying around. I want to set it up so that I get wireless in my room. Which means I cannot connect the wireless router directly to the modem downstaris in the basement; because their would be no wireless signal upstairs in my room.

Is it possible to plug an Ethernet cable into the wall in my room, and the other end into the wireless router, and somehow setup a wireless network like that? How would I go about that?

Things I already tried
I tried just plugging one end of a cable into the wall and the other end into the wireless router, then plugging the power to the wireless router in, and then trying to find its wireless signal but could not.

You should be able to get it to work, but it might take some fooling around with the router settings in the wireless router. It's been a while but I set up a second router at my house to create an isolated subnet with internet access. I'm not great network wizard but I got it to work. Have you logged into the wireless router itself?

Are you saying the wireless signal is not strong enough to go from your basement to your bedroom? are you sure? have you tried?

At work I have a wireless router with a signal that travels through a massive cement wall and then up a floor in to the shop and second floor offices and they still get a strong signal.

Have you though about a range expander?

Back
Top Bottom