Basic Network

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
ok, I have a DSL modem at my house, and 3 computer connected to it (it has like 5 ethy outputs) I set up a network on all of them, we're all in the same workgroup, but it still wont work.

Im doing this to share my bro's printer because I dont have one.
I add printer, go to network, our workgroup is there, but there are no printers under it.

I have also run into this problem with my gf's laptop and her dads computer.
She takes her lap top to school and prints stuff there but when she gets home she doesnt bring her printer and its a hastle to run to his computer and re-type stuff.

I guess Im trying to share printers :D If someone can take me step by step and ill just start all over :D

thanks
-Q

Is the printer shared on the host computer? If so, can you map to it via My Network Places? Can you see the host computer in your workgroup within My Network places?

ok, 3 computers. Mine, my dads, and my bro's
another bro (call him bro 2) came home yesterday so I have my connections bridged and hes connected through mine.

When I open my network places I can see bro 2's shared files but no one elses

When I go to view workgroup computers I can see my dads and my bro1.

how do you knwo who the host or "administrator" is.. and how do you set that up?

on the workgroups computers.. my dads says hes a guest and it asks me for a password, my bros says "you might not have access or path not found" and mine I can open

thanks - Q

this is a bump. Im getting people (gf's dad and my family) that want to share their printer and its not working. please help :D

If all the computers are on the network, all you have to do is to "Add Network Printer". Add a printer to each computer as you normally do with a single computer. Go to Control Panel and click on printer folder. Then go up to the File menu to find Add Printer. When the wizard pops up, select the option to install printer over the network instead of local printer. Do this to each PC.

I know that, but when I browse for the printer on the network, it wont open.

My work group is listed with a + sign next to it, suggesting that there is something underneath it. BUT My workgroup wont open. I double click it and it just sits there. All the computers are on that workgroup...so I dont know whats wrong.

have you gave each computer the same username and password. What OS are ya using? are all the computers the same OS?

my printeris connected to my main desktop and its not a wireless printer so my desktop must be on for me to print from other computers. the windows network thing is a pain in the ass. just restart it all again and make sure all settings are correct. it always takes me ages to set up

lol, all it ask me to do for everyone is to change the workgroup. Which we are all on the same workgroup. I tyr to add the network printer... but its not there.

all on XP

Back
Top Bottom