ADSL woes

josh.bean

Beta member
Greetings. For my first post, I thought I would pose a problem to the wise and more-experienced members.
I just moved to Japan with my new Toshiba laptop. After waiting for an inordinately long time for the phone company, I now have internet! However, many problems have arisen.
*AIM cannot connect, and says that the connection is lost whenever I try.
*Torrents cannot find trackers.
*eDonkey cannot connect to servers.
*Skype cannot even login.

Firefox and Yahoo Messenger seem to work just fine. Here are some (hopefully) relevant details:
*Windows XP Home
*Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6
*ADSL: 12Mbps/1Mbps - PPPoE (I have to login each time I want to use it)
*Modem: B-PONHA B-ONU-ET (The generic modem they gave me. The ADSL line goes into the modem itself, so it cannot be removed without opening it up)
*No software was installed by the setup guy. He used the Windows Internet Connection Wizard.
*No router.

Thanks very much in advance...I need all the help I can get over here!

Josh

im thinking its ur firewall, somehwere in its settings you, or soemoen else must of accidently click like high security settings, only allowing messengers with less open ports. (firefox, yahoo)

Thanks for your reply! Sadly, I don't think that is the case. I double checked my settings, and then tried each program with the firewall shutdown. Same problems with or without the firewall running.

Sometimes country has centralized internet connection filtering<e.g. Saudi Arabia>. Let us assume it is just like a proxy server that you must configure every connection through proxy. So you must ask your internet provider if they are filtering your access. I experience using proxy server and it gave me a hard time downloading and chatting<webcams not allowed>

Damn that is a nice connection compared to the expensive and crappy plans we have to pay for over here (New Zealand) 2mbit/128k 80$ a month - yea what the hell.. Anyways i would have to agree with extendcradle on this, and i think either china or japan may have these so it would be good to make some contact with your isp and ask.

Back
Top Bottom