Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,945
Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

I use a 3com router and have never had any problem with it, you can run up to 40 computers of it using wireless.
__________________

__________________
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
SPURS TILL I DIE (DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS)
TO DARE IS TO DO
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

i find netgear are good. easy to navigate menus and the signal must be good, as i can always pick them up at home or out and about
unsecure networks ftw
__________________

__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54G for a relatively cheap good wireless router.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124010

I have a Netgear router, and it's great, but it does get a little hot. It used to overheat, but I moved it to a spot with a little more airflow, and it hasn't happened since.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #14
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
celegorm is correct on this.



However, Mr. DJ-CHRIS you're wrong. A consumer can use their own hardware for example, a 'router' in this case, and their ISP will not charge you more on your monthly bill because you purchased a router from a store instead of your actual internet service provider.


Now, if you need technical assistance with your new router some ISP's will provide as little as technical support as possible, while some will tell you call the vendor of the router for assistance with it.



IM curious What *propertiary* authentication protocols can they use to verify this? Also, -->you state they use TCP/IP fingerprinting<-- funny considering each operating system’s 'TCP/IP stack' responds differently given the same situation in a TCP/IP conversation.


Funny I worked for Sony, & Bellsouth (Dial up, ISDN 64k & 128k, AND ADSL), in the past I never heard or seen anything even remotely close to anything like that. Teir 1 to Tier 3 technical support never heard of it. Nor has any of the 3rd party vendors (outside sources) who *watch/monitors our networks,* hell not even the NOC department (network Operations Center) has heard of anything like this.
I never said a consumer could not use their own router, I just said it's possible for the ISP to enforce certain hardware. I don't know of any ISP that successfully enforces using their hardware, due to the hard nature of it.

One ISP with a propitiatory authenication protocol is bigpond in Australia, as they developed their own authentication protocol. This is the best example in common use, however it's now common to find bigpond authentication support on some routers. This means if you had bigpond as your ISP, the average home router would not be able to connect to it.

TCP IP fingerprinting isn't used, but it's possible to use it. Passive TCP fingerprinting would reveal what kinda device / OS is behind the router. However active TCP fingerprinting against an ISP's own router (the one in the consumer building) could verify the status of it being an allowed device. I don't know of a single ISP that does this, however Cisco NAC uses passive TCP fingerprinting.

And last method which defiantly isnt in use, is an ISP's hardware running an agent to verify that it's the proper hardware. If the agent isn't detected by their server, they could deny internet access.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
BSOD
 
0x0161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

Since the subjet changed to strictly routers now. I would just like to add I own and am currently running the Linksys WRT54G firmware version 1.00.6 it's *okay* IMO, but if I was going to get a router it would be a Netgear WPN824 <--7 built in antennas a lot more security features/options that what the linksys wrt54g offers. Just for the record the ONLY reason I'm using the linksys wrt54g because it was a gift from my girlfriend and I don't want to be rude like that.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #16
BSOD
 
0x0161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

Quote:
I never said a consumer could not use their own router, I just said it's possible for the ISP to enforce certain hardware. I don't know of any ISP that successfully enforces using their hardware, due to the hard nature of it.
About 99.9 percent of ISPs have a BYO plan. At least in the states. I did a little information gathering and found out they use this thing called a *heartbeat* that requires a login ID and password through what is called a proprietary authentication protocol.

Heartbeat is - Ethernet defined SQE signal quality test function.

http://www.ethermanage.com/ethernet/sqe/sqe.html


http://www.telstra.com.au/adsl/equipmnt.htm


Quote:
One ISP with a propitiatory authenication protocol is bigpond in Australia, as they developed their own authentication protocol.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #17
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
Since the subjet changed to strictly routers now. I would just like to add I own and am currently running the Linksys WRT54G firmware version 1.00.6 it's *okay* IMO, but if I was going to get a router it would be a Netgear WPN824 <--7 built in antennas a lot more security features/options that what the linksys wrt54g offers. Just for the record the ONLY reason I'm using the linksys wrt54g because it was a gift from my girlfriend and I don't want to be rude like that.
Try to upgrade the firmware on that wrt54G to DD-WRT
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
BSOD
 
0x0161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

Quote:
Try to upgrade the firmware on that wrt54G to DD-WRT
Not to be rude or anything but I could careless about updating the firmware in the wireless router. Thats probably why I never did it to begin with. It came out of the box with that firmware version. Is their a vulnerability to exploit within firmware version 1.00.6? Last time I checked their wasnt. So their is no need to upgrade the firmware. But thank you for taking the time to look up my information on my wireless router. . I have the Linksys WRT54G as secure as you can make it. Secure like Fort Knox. The way I look at it, even if someone manages to get inside the network (phat chance in hell) they still have to crack the encryption to even read the files on my system. I tried breaking into my network from the outside IM not able to and neither is any of my homeboys.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #19
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsom View Post
What are some good router brands?
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
Netgear, D-Link, Linksys...
My brand of choice if you can find it is Hawking. Otherwise I like D-link. Netgear and Linksys are good too.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #20
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
Not to be rude or anything but I could careless about updating the firmware in the wireless router. Thats probably why I never did it to begin with. It came out of the box with that firmware version. Is their a vulnerability to exploit within firmware version 1.00.6? Last time I checked their wasnt. So their is no need to upgrade the firmware. But thank you for taking the time to look up my information on my wireless router. . I have the Linksys WRT54G as secure as you can make it. Secure like Fort Knox. The way I look at it, even if someone manages to get inside the network (phat chance in hell) they still have to crack the encryption to even read the files on my system. I tried breaking into my network from the outside IM not able to and neither is any of my homeboys.
DD-WRT is a third party firmware for wireless routers
http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0