Administrator for network

sirzune

Beta member
I have a friend who was asked by a large church in the community if he thought he could oversee their 5 networked computers, printers, etc. He has only been fixing computers for home use and is pretty good at it. I'm afraid that he should think twice before accepting the job offer. He has no certificates and I advised him that he should not accept the position as this is a business and time is money for them. I am also thinking about what law suits he could open himself up to if he screws up and can't get the system back up on a timely basis, or worst, subject the system to hackers. Am I correct in stating this to him, being he has no certifiable proof of his knowledge?

One thing I know about churches is that they will always try to get people to either donate their time or work for next to nothing. This is why they asked your friend instead of trying to hire an IT company. The fact that he has no certs is probably a plus to them since he won't be able to justify the higher rate an actual IT company would charge. I say tell him to go for it. It would be really good experience for him. No church is going to sue him if he messes something up by accident. They teach people to forgive, like Jesus does....

I would do it. What exactly are they going to need done? Replace a router if it goes bad? Fix a printer if it goes offline? It would be great experience and a good resume builder. I would tell him to negotiate a wage per hour (20$? depends on your area and what he feels comfortable with) that way he doesn't get ripped off. Also, if they think he is too expensive, he can tell them to get a quote from an IT company and after they see it, they will gladly pay him.

They teach people to forgive, like Jesus does....
if only that were true.

churches live on charity.

If they use all their collection money to buy a new computer and your friend breaks it then they aren't just going to turn their backs on all the hard work and fund raising that they did to get those machines.

If your friend wants to work for the church then he should do it. but if he messes up then he will be liable.
if he wants to start a business then my advice would be:
Get public liability and indemnity insurances -that will protect him from his own mistakes.
Give the church a good deal, (charge very little).
rely on the word of mouth advertising to grow your business organically.

Back
Top Bottom