3 modems load balancing

jeremy28092

Baseband Member
I have 3 modems I want to set up using ics i know this does not increase normal speed but it does for torrenting since it uses multiple connections what i need to know is how to put all 3 modems to my pc and share the conection out to my router can i use a switch or what should i do?

So you want to connect 3 Ethernet (cat 5 cables) from your machine to your router?

What operating system are you using? The ability to load balance multiple connections would need to be built into the kernel or perhaps third party software would need to be used. I know dual homing machines on the same network can some times be a pain (much less 3 cards!).

Can you provide some more information regarding the situation here?

If anyone has more insight on this it would be much appreciated!

thinking of using pfsence on an old P4 system my main system is using ubuntu 11.04 so im gonna use 4 nics in the P4 3 wan 1 from each modem then set the 4th gigabit nic to lan going to the router. will post back if it works or not

Wait, do you have multiple WAN connections that you are trying to load balance? Or are you just trying to load balance traffic between your router and your PC? I question motive for the latter, as you wont gain much there. Most people even under-utilize gigabit Ethernet in their home use. pfsense can do multi-WAN load balancing quite well. Have a look here: Multi-WAN Version 1.2.x - PFSenseDocs

doing multi WAN i have 3 working modems may as well use em lol I do have it working though I set the interface metric to 1 on all nic cards and win 7 did the rest pretty well. have trippled my bandwidth

You do have three internet connections (ADSL, Fiber, whatever) as well as three modems, yes?

Back
Top Bottom