25 mb/s internet, dloading @ .3 mb

scar90jupo

Beta member
just got new cable internet. dont remember last internet's official speed but a recent speedtest.net test ran before the change results showed 4 mb/s. was downloading on computer 1 then at .5 mb/s. computer 2 @ the same. both hard-wired in.

now, with comcast's 25mb/s internet; speedtest's showing 30mb down. an actual download is resting at around .3 mb on computer 1(now using wireless adapter) and .5 mb on computer 2(still hard-wired in). why?

any help is much appreciated

actual downloads will almost never be the max you are paying for. How fast you download a file off of the internet largely depends on upload speed of the server you're getting the file from, how many others are accessing that server and sharing that bandwidth as well as all of the traffic that's between that serer and your modem.

Also, your paying for mega bits per second from your ISP, while your computer and likely your router will measure things in mega bytes. This means at best, you'll see 1/8th of the advertised speed reported by windows since it's doing the rate conversion

thanks. so this sounds normal to you. let me start by saying the downloads i attempted are from places where the speed wouldn't be degraded. at least not from what i usually experienced with the old internet. now, i go from around 4down to around 25-30down but am downloading considerably slower. and there's no problem? keep in mind im downloading the same stuff as before from the same places. nothing has changed but the internet speed is more than quadrupled but im downloading slower

Last edited:
You did do the old "comcast fix for everything" right, i.e power off and reset the modem after the speed increase. I would do the same for your router too. I have comcast 25mb/s cable also, and my linksys router drops it to 20Mb/s. Check your routers config page and see if the QoS is altered or there is any kind of bandwidth throttling enabled. Or bypass your router altogether.

0.3Mb/s is ridiculously slow for what you have.

For a good representation of your download speeds go to AMD or Nvidia and download the latest Graphics card driver, their severs are always tip top.

I have ATT U-Verse and my 18 down is 17.26 and the 2 up is 1.47. The tech checked the line and the modem/router at my computer before he left. What he got on his test equipment was what I was getting at all 3 of my hardwired computers.

Are you using the Comcast supplied modem/router? What downloader software are you using?

You did do the old "comcast fix for everything" right, i.e power off and reset the modem after the speed increase. I would do the same for your router too. I have comcast 25mb/s cable also, and my linksys router drops it to 20Mb/s. Check your routers config page and see if the QoS is altered or there is any kind of bandwidth throttling enabled. Or bypass your router altogether.

0.3Mb/s is ridiculously slow for what you have.

For a good representation of your download speeds go to AMD or Nvidia and download the latest Graphics card driver, their severs are always tip top.

bingo! the modem just needed to be restarted. its good now

Back
Top Bottom