2 routers on a home network is this possible

-Paul-

Fully Optimized
ok here is the deal i have a home network that has a single cable modem hooked into a router. i have wireless all over the house, except in my bedroom where there is no signal so i have a wired ethernet cable into my bedroom. but the only problem with that is it is on the otherside of the room and at night i like to surf the web from my laptop on my bed. so instead of running a long ugly ethernet cable across the room i was thinking why not take the hardwired cable(that connects the router in my den to my bedroom) and plug it into the internet port on the second router in my bedroom. is this possible with a ROUTER (i know access points work like this but how about routers) a friend gave me a wireless b linksys router i could use so please let me know if this is possible

Yes indeed this is possible, I actually have two routers on my own home network. This is rather simple, really plug and play. Since this second router is a wireless enabled router, make sure you enable WEP and/or MAC filtering once setup.

So yes this is possible, let me know if you need more information.

x0r515t said:
Yes indeed this is possible, I actually have two routers on my own home network. This is rather simple, really plug and play. Since this second router is a wireless enabled router, make sure you enable WEP and/or MAC filtering once setup.

So yes this is possible, let me know if you need more information.
ok wait give me more i have a wireless g netgear connected to the modem and a wireless b linksys connected to the netgear with a ethernet wire in a different room, what settings do i need to change

edit: also what port do i put the wire into on the 2nd router

Try...

1st router needs the internet feed, into the WAN port(internet port).

Once you have plugged this in, run an ethernet cable straight from one of your switch ports, into one of your switch ports on your next router.

If nothing happens striaght away, you will have to setup your 2nd router to be a wireless switch, turning off your router compatibility, most modern routers have this facility, all it does is turn off your WAN port on that router and make it a switch/access point.

If you have problems doing this in the web interface, visit the routers web site and see if there is a possible firm ware update.

why is this post in 2 different places ... Networking/DNS (which btw is where it should only be) & General Computer Hardware and Software? I got reemed out for "double posting" when in fact I had posted within a thread twice without another member posting in between. Isn't having the exact same topic (in this case same paragraph) posted in 2 different places ... double posting?

CrossCech said:
why is this post in 2 different places ... Networking/DNS (which btw is where it should only be) & General Computer Hardware and Software? I got reemed out for "double posting" when in fact I had posted within a thread twice without another member posting in between. Isn't having the exact same topic (in this case same paragraph) posted in 2 different places ... double posting?
i know b/c i posted in general section then i said "that is the wrong section" and posted here

I'm not attacking you recon, I'm just lashing out a little for getting called out for double posting, when I didnt. :) Yet, a clear case of double posting here appears to be sliding by. Cool with me members of computerforums.org, just don't jump on my arse with false or incorrect accusations. :)

Back
Top Bottom