Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Trying to catch up

Hey Folks my name is Corey. I am from Michigan, I own a complete vinyl graphics shop so computers are a very important part of my life. I used to mess with them a lot and have just recently that last few months got back into it. I started in around 2004 when my dad gave me a computer that had been hit by lightning through the phone line. (yes phone line, all he had access to was dial up at the time.) It had a modem card installed and when the hit came through the phone line it actually blew a piece of the modem into the motherboard and and shorted the motherboard out.... I don't have pictures of these pieces anymore but it was rather cool.... Any ways I got it and having no real Hardware experience in my background decided to piece it back together.... I bought a new motherboard, new hard drive, new memory and went to work. I bought a copy of Windows xp and after a couple of days of google and tinkering I had a really nice set up for less then $300. Since then I have put a few together and replaced a few drives and what not... A lot of virus removal and cleaning.... I used to run all of my cutters from USB on my laptop but started to have issues with some of the drivers and decided it was time to move to a desktop again for my cutting. I ran across a nice unit at a local auction and picked it up for $45 with a flat panel monitor... It was a really compact Dell Where the whole front swung open to get access to USB ports and dvd drive... Really really nice unit.... I ran that for a few weeks but didn't like the fact there was NO room inside for expansion and I knew that at some point I would want a wireless card and more hard drives and possibly another dvd burner so I decided it was time to upgrade... So I started watching the local onlines again and ended up with a few machines for parts and what I am still using as my cutting machine. This new machine is a HP a700n which I paid $30 for... had a few issues that were easily fixed the spring loaded doors needed some attention I wiped the HD and put Xp home back on it.... upgraded the RAM to 1GB.. (which is the max so I am not real happy about that.) I am probably running on about things but I am having a few issues and concerns about this machine which I will scan the forum for answers before I post..... Hope to learn a ton here and maybe share some of my knowledge in my areas.

Dr12volt1338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via Skype™ to ComputerGirl90
Default Re: Trying to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr12volt1338 View Post
Hey Folks my name is Corey. I am from Michigan, I own a complete vinyl graphics shop so computers are a very important part of my life. I used to mess with them a lot and have just recently that last few months got back into it. I started in around 2004 when my dad gave me a computer that had been hit by lightning through the phone line. (yes phone line, all he had access to was dial up at the time.) It had a modem card installed and when the hit came through the phone line it actually blew a piece of the modem into the motherboard and and shorted the motherboard out.... I don't have pictures of these pieces anymore but it was rather cool.... Any ways I got it and having no real Hardware experience in my background decided to piece it back together.... I bought a new motherboard, new hard drive, new memory and went to work. I bought a copy of Windows xp and after a couple of days of google and tinkering I had a really nice set up for less then $300. Since then I have put a few together and replaced a few drives and what not... A lot of virus removal and cleaning.... I used to run all of my cutters from USB on my laptop but started to have issues with some of the drivers and decided it was time to move to a desktop again for my cutting. I ran across a nice unit at a local auction and picked it up for $45 with a flat panel monitor... It was a really compact Dell Where the whole front swung open to get access to USB ports and dvd drive... Really really nice unit.... I ran that for a few weeks but didn't like the fact there was NO room inside for expansion and I knew that at some point I would want a wireless card and more hard drives and possibly another dvd burner so I decided it was time to upgrade... So I started watching the local onlines again and ended up with a few machines for parts and what I am still using as my cutting machine. This new machine is a HP a700n which I paid $30 for... had a few issues that were easily fixed the spring loaded doors needed some attention I wiped the HD and put Xp home back on it.... upgraded the RAM to 1GB.. (which is the max so I am not real happy about that.) I am probably running on about things but I am having a few issues and concerns about this machine which I will scan the forum for answers before I post..... Hope to learn a ton here and maybe share some of my knowledge in my areas.
Welcome to the forum!!
ComputerGirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote