Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Hi I am Matthew

I am getting into computers wanting to build and learn as much as I can. I am looking to learn from people and meet people I can talk to on the forums about things I'm learning or questions I may have. I have always liked computers but have basic knowledge. I am studying a book for CompTIA A+ Certification and some other books as well. I try to find out as much as I can on the net but there is so much to learn and I am just trying to soak up as much as I can. I have done very simple things such as swapping out optical drives, upgrading RAM, some expansion cards etc... My goal in the near future is to build my own PC. I spent most of my life playing music and being a Nurse and I am now trying to learn about computers. It is overwhelming but I have a hunger for it and I study for a few hours each day.

ADConverterofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Solid State Member

I'm learning about computers too, I would like to build my own pc some day!! Computers are fun!!

Ricardo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Golden Master

Default Re: Hi I am Matthew

Welcome to CF, Well you can learn a lot here and there's heaps of resources on the net..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

welcome guys... Im currently revising for my comptia a+ exams too.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Thank You, I definitely am about learning. ja6on, The CompTIA seemed like the best way to really get to know the computer. When is your exam?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Solid State Member

What are some good books to learn from? I know there's a lot to choose from.
Ricardo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

yeah the comptia is good but it assumes you have moderate understanding of hardware an software etc. i havnt booked it yet. i finished my private tuition few weeks ago so ill book it in a few more weeks.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Baseband Member

I found a lot of good books. The one that seemed to be fairly complete and directed at the CompTIA exams is "All In One Comp TIA A+ Certification Exam Guide 8th edition. Written by Mike Meyers. Other than that I pick up everything I can watching tech reports and builds on youtube. There is a chapter for each component in the PC in this book along with an understanding of the history of windows and networking things way off that I haven't made it to yet. But I am excited to learn. I'm also reading, "Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners." In my house nobody wants to talk about anything. My friends...not into computer. They want them to work but don't want to know what makes them work or how to upgrade and repair. They are not excited about all of the possibilities of what you can do with a PC. don't care about CPU speed or the importance of RAM or what MS-DOS is. So I came to this forum. Where people talk about that kind of stuff and much more.