Hello

Hi everyone,
Let me tell you a little about myself.
I went to college for Computer Networking/Repair but worked in sales after college becoming a Assistant DM by 24, shortly after I had a bad motorcycle wreck and ended my working carreer.
All is good I'm alive with wife and kids so life goes on.
I was introduced to Novell Linux in college, one of our professors was a Linux/Macintosh buff and I liked the interface. I like being able to use command prompts guess I got a little geek in me lol. Anyway after college I didn't do much with computers except for keeping track of sales and sending reports for several years basicly forgetting what I learned in college.
Then about 3 years ago a friend of mine sent me a disc with Damn Small Linux and I played with it some but stuck with the lazy man system Windows cause I couldn't afford a Mac, I really like Mac X OS.
I recently aquired a free laptop a HP Pavilion dv6 with 4GB Ram and a AMD triple core processor. It had a fried hard disc and couldn't recognize any OS. I replaced the hard drive with a new blank drive and downloaded Ubuntu Linux at a friends advise, I love it. My new laptop boots in under a minute and I am getting used to the interface fast.
I tried installing Ubuntu as a dual boot on my Compaq running Win 7 (first computer I ever bought new lol) but it keeps stopping the commands and won't partion and load. So I got two laptops for now plus my wife's netbook and my son has my old Win Vista Acer laptop (also given to me thinking it was broke) learning how to repair computers has got it's perks.
Who else is running Linux and likes it better than Windows?

Hi HP on Linux,
I personally like Debian based distros. Right now I run w7 ultimate 64 bit as host and backtrack 5 R2 as a guest in vmware workstation. Along with Ubuntu 12.04, and CentOS. Thanks for the reply on my post about my website. Hope to talk to you and some of the others on this site soon!

Hi everyone,
Let me tell you a little about myself.
I went to college for Computer Networking/Repair but worked in sales after college becoming a Assistant DM by 24, shortly after I had a bad motorcycle wreck and ended my working carreer.
All is good I'm alive with wife and kids so life goes on.
I was introduced to Novell Linux in college, one of our professors was a Linux/Macintosh buff and I liked the interface. I like being able to use command prompts guess I got a little geek in me lol. Anyway after college I didn't do much with computers except for keeping track of sales and sending reports for several years basicly forgetting what I learned in college.
Then about 3 years ago a friend of mine sent me a disc with Damn Small Linux and I played with it some but stuck with the lazy man system Windows cause I couldn't afford a Mac, I really like Mac X OS.
I recently aquired a free laptop a HP Pavilion dv6 with 4GB Ram and a AMD triple core processor. It had a fried hard disc and couldn't recognize any OS. I replaced the hard drive with a new blank drive and downloaded Ubuntu Linux at a friends advise, I love it. My new laptop boots in under a minute and I am getting used to the interface fast.
I tried installing Ubuntu as a dual boot on my Compaq running Win 7 (first computer I ever bought new lol) but it keeps stopping the commands and won't partion and load. So I got two laptops for now plus my wife's netbook and my son has my old Win Vista Acer laptop (also given to me thinking it was broke) learning how to repair computers has got it's perks.
Who else is running Linux and likes it better than Windows?

Welcome to the forum!! :) And to answer your question, I go to school at ITT Tech. My major is CNS - Computer Networking Systems. I took Linux last semester and it turns out I liked it!! So I vote for Linux!!

Wow you had a full class dedicated to Linux, we just lucked out and had a teacher who was a fan and had dual-booted all the Apple Macs with Novelle Linux. He only did Linux based work once a week his class was 5 days a week. He mostly wanted us to be familar enough with the commands to install software and hook up a network.
I downloaded Ubuntu and really just learning the full potental of the Linux Kernal. I did figure out how to enter root and force install on my own I loaded the Macbuntu theme which doesn't support Ubuntu 12.04 for laptops and netbooks but I force installed with command prompt and got what I wanted (booting up it now shows the apple logo, mac x icons and windows) even downloaded a zip and changed my Home icon button to a Apple logo) I have not got the desktop in mac format yet still working on forcing the tweeks

I've used Linux in one form or another since the late 90's and love it. Both Windows and Macos have their place in the world but the flexibility of Linux makes it king to me.

Back
Top Bottom