Gotta start somewhere

Built in audio on the mobo will be sufficient, unless he wants to plug a 5.1 surround system in which I doubt with a $500 budget! :)

and on memory, most gamers stretch for 8GB, but I gamed on 4GB just fine for a long time. I'd recommend something cheaper and reliable such as this from Crucial:-

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA160B - Newegg.com

EDIT: didn't see you post there Joe, looks like we think alike. I opted to link the twin stick option since he could run it dual channel and eek a bit more performance from it, and it looks to be cheaper ever so slightly

Awesome appreciate all the info people! I do have a 1tb hard drive I'll be reusing, I also might already have 2x4gig ddr2 ram as well, also I'd really might push it and go for the i5 or i7 Intel mobo IF I can

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Computer Forums mobile app

EDIT: didn't see you post there Joe, looks like we think alike. I opted to link the twin stick option since he could run it dual channel and eek a bit more performance from it, and it looks to be cheaper ever so slightly

Let me guess... filtered the list to 4GB RAM, ordered it price lowest to highest, and scanned the list for the first reputable brand that was selling 1600MHz memory? lmao

@Theory - Reusing your current hard drive does mean the price will drop to about your budget which is good. Finding an i5/i7 in this price range would be pretty difficult to find to be honest with you my friend, with the price restriction I immediately thought of AMD because their chips seem to be slightly better value than the equivalent price Intel units. (In my opinion... I hope this doesn't trigger another AMD vs Intel argument! ;))

you won't get much from the intel range for the budget you've got, as the intel chips are 1/3 more expensive at least for the equivalents. Oh, and you'll need DDR3 RAM as RAM is not backwards compatible

Oh ok, I just hear Intel makes the best for gaming, anything equivalent to it for the cheapest price I'll take though, so I will need new ram, ok thanks for that info :) I'm still very inexperienced when it comes to building computers the last one I built was in school and I'm not going to even state it's poor horrid stats haha definitely couldn't game on it

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Let me guess... filtered the list to 4GB RAM, ordered it price lowest to highest, and scanned the list for the first reputable brand that was selling 1600MHz memory? lmao

@Theory - Reusing your current hard drive does mean the price will drop to about your budget which is good. Finding an i5/i7 in this price range would be pretty difficult to find to be honest with you my friend, with the price restriction I immediately thought of AMD because their chips seem to be slightly better value than the equivalent price Intel units. (In my opinion... I hope this doesn't trigger another AMD vs Intel argument! ;))

I do like amd I have used some of their products and have never been disappointed, in fact my broken gaming pc was using amd :)

Edit: it broke from natural causes I swear haha

Don't be silly Joe, Intel Vs. AMD arguments don't happen anymore, only between fanboys!

Intel -> slightly better overclocks, tend to lead in benchmarks, are ridiculously expensive for high end models (In the UK the 4770k is £269 (thats like what, $520?)

AMD -> still good for overclocks, seem to be first to everything (first quad core, first consumer hex and octocore), better value but are hungrier for power.

In this case AMD was definitely the best call, didn't check on Newegg but over here I can pick up the 8-core FX-8350 for £130 - from Intel for that price I'd be looking at an i3 >:|

Long and short of it is, you'll get more bang for fewer bucks from AMD, and there really isn't much in it performance wise unless you want to throw your Valley benchmark scores in the faces of everyone on overclock forums ;)

Don't be silly Joe, Intel Vs. AMD arguments don't happen anymore, only between fanboys!

Intel -> slightly better overclocks, tend to lead in benchmarks, are ridiculously expensive for high end models (In the UK the 4770k is £269 (thats like what, $520?)

AMD -> still good for overclocks, seem to be first to everything (first quad core, first consumer hex and octocore), better value but are hungrier for power.

In this case AMD was definitely the best call, didn't check on Newegg but over here I can pick up the 8-core FX-8350 for £130 - from Intel for that price I'd be looking at an i3 >:|

Long and short of it is, you'll get more bang for fewer bucks from AMD, and there really isn't much in it performance wise unless you want to throw your Valley benchmark scores in the faces of everyone on overclock forums ;)

Amd it is :)

I love you. :flowers:

Lol that's all I have to say on this. Welcome to the forum @ OP :)

in 2012 when i built the machine in my sig I went Intel, because at the time AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver wasn't released yet and the 2500k was the best bang for your buck. I'm planning to do a major upgrade and I'll be going with the FX8350 when I do, but that depends whether the i5 when coupled with thew R9 270X i've just ordered is still up to scratch :)

I love you too man, I love everybody.

Back
Top Bottom