File management

KevinB

Solid State Member
Hi,

I learned to use a computer way back in the mid-nineties when we used MS File Manager. We created a root directory in each file and we could store all sorts of info - nicely sorted - within this directory.

I've since retired from daily employment.

I'm currently using Windows 10.

But I cannot find a way of creating a directory within a file.

Can you guide me please?

Regards,
Kevin.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're talking about when you say you created a directory in a file. Do you mean you created a file listing and saved it in a text file?

Can you explain in more detail what you're trying to do? I've been using these computer things since the early 80's and have never heard of creating a directory within a file (can't see how it's even possible).

I think we're getting terms mixed up.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you just want a listing of the file system.

There's plenty of programs that do this for you. WinDirStat is probably my favorite but more geared toward finding space hogging files.

To get a simple listing of your file structure, simply open a command prompt by pressing the Windows Key on your keyboard and "R" at the same time. Type CMD to open a command prompt.

You can type
Code:
cd\
To return to root c: and then
Code:
dir /p
to show all directories in paged format
to navigate to another directory, just type cd [whateverFolder]
Now, to get that listing you want, navigate to the desired directory and type:
Code:
tree /f > example.txt
and you'll now have a text file called "example.txt" showing all the contents of that directory.

Back
Top Bottom