exploding batteries

billyboy

Beta member
Anybody concerned/knowledgeable about old laptop batteries exploding or bursting into flames? One of the computers I use is an old (2002) Compac laptop and the battery seems to accept and hold a charge. I must admit that I have abused the poor thing and let it become nearly completely discharged from non-use several times. I also fly RC planes and am familiar with the dangers of lithium polymer batteries

I've been tempted to get rid of the battery and just use the computer with the plug-in auxiliary power but it's nice to use it on battery at times.

Thanks, Bill

Cool, we have another Bill! Welcome aboard :D

My only experience in this is only use original batteries. Never seen or heard of an original battery burst into flames unless physically abused.

Unless there's physical damage, you should be okay. there's no way a laptop is pulling enough amps to do damage to a battery like that. Also, A. since it's from 2002, is it even lithium? i'd assume it was Ni-Cad. B. Does it really hold a charge for more than a few minutes?

Unless there's physical damage, you should be okay. there's no way a laptop is pulling enough amps to do damage to a battery like that. Also, A. since it's from 2002, is it even lithium? i'd assume it was Ni-Cad. B. Does it really hold a charge for more than a few minutes?
If there was an internal short in the charging circuit, the laptop could certainly pull a bunch of current from the battery. I'm sure you've heard about the Samsung S7 Edge phones that had batteries catching fire or exploding in people's pockets and such.

I remember there was a Dell battery recall, but that was like 4 or 5 years ago.

I think you should be fine using the battery.

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies! Yes it is a lithium ion battery, HP f4809a/f4812a, 14.8v (4 cell series),4400 mAH.
As I say from my RC airplane experience with lithium polymer batteries most problems seem to be associated with charging the batteries although some accounts of spontaneous explosions for no clear reason (burning down the pilots garage, car or home on occasion).
There are certainly some dramatic you tube pictures of exploding airplane batteries and I think I did see a laptop bust into flames once too.
Thanks again, Bill

Oh yeah, there were reports that lack of charging protection could blow the thing using replica chargers. They were on social media long ago tho. Not sure if that was legit.

Not sure if this applies to all batteries, but Apple actually recommends that you drain your battery once in a while. Something about letting it recalibrate for the reduced capacity over its lifespan.

I had an inflated macbook pro battery sitting on my desk for some time. I wondered if it was dangerous and eventually got rid of it. Anybody know what causes batteries to puff up like that and the possible safety concerns with it?

Yeah, i left an iphone in a drawer for a few months after i upgraded, and when i came back to use it as an ipod, the battery had expanded so much that it forced the screen out. It looked like a little balloon with the motherboard was also bent around it. I think it must have sat like that for a while, because when i took the battery out, the motherboard wouldn't go flat again.

Edit: found a photo.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5U6W2X7t8uhbTNMUzhmeTU4M2M/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom