Zonealarm failed *immediate help needed :(*

Kage

Golden Master
I'm having serious problems :(

I'm having to use the Windows Firewall while typing this, because Zonealarm has decided to stop working.

After work, a message popped up, "An update is available for Zonealarm", so I installed it.

Well...what a mistake that was.

Truevector, part of Zonealarm failed to start, and restarting the PC crashed it, and it wouldn't load up any icons, etc.
I also couldn't get into safemode, because the keyboard didn't work while booting up.

Anyhow, I finally got into Windows, and after a few attemps, managed to uninstall Zonealarm completly.

Now though, re-installing it, by downloading, after the installation I get an error about Vsmon.exe not being able to configure Zonealarm, and it fails the installation, and quits.
vsmon is also apart of Zonealarm, but why isn't it working?

I uninstalled using Revo-uninstaller too, and this also did not help..

What am I meant to do? Try another firewall? Zonealarm just won't start anymore, or install correctly for that matter.
Damn update :(

I've also tried using System Restore, and that didn't help either..

I'm stuck :(

I could name three separate free alternatives while generally the retail version of Zone Alarm never hears too many complaints. I would suggest avoiding the update after remvong ZA another time and waiting for the next update since this one seems to be troublesome to begin with.

The alternates would be Comodo or Jetico Personal for freeware firewalls getting good reviews from users.

Another freeware program for protection against spywares also places an active guard around the registry called Spyware Terminator. That will prompt like the user account control now seen in Vista if you are uninstalling something to allow that even as well as prompting for each thing while installing a new program.

Aye, thanks :)

I just installed an older version, and I'm back up. The damn update must be screwed up

I use windows firewall + I am behind a router that also has a firewall. I could never understand why do people even bother using firewalls like zonealarm or comodo... If someone really wanted to get inside your PC these firewalls wound help you! I been using a computer for 10 years and I never needed to use a 3rd party firewall... I think its all in your head :)

Sorry cant help u with ur problem Kage

Hmm.... I'm not sure how good my router's firewall is though, so I've always felt like I've needed extra protection on top. I definietly don't trust Windows Firewall on its own.

So, yeah, I installed a version 7 Zonealarm which is working. Its asking me to update to version 8, and I'm just saying no for the minute.

I advise anyone else to do the same.

Here firewalls simply would get in the way more then help. Some good protections are found free too!

The Spyware Terminator program pointed to before is seeing some good reviews as well as seeing regular updates. When going to install anything new or taking something off that will prompt on everything just as you would see with a firewall on.

Plus it will remove spywares and data miners along with other annoyances. That can be looked over at http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Spybot does the same thing :p Its not a replacement for a firewall though

SpyBot S&D while still being one of the better tools is starting to slip behind a little there. The same went for Ewido an older highly recommended remover now bought out by Grisoft seeing an updated version in the latest AVG 8.0 build.

The internet is pretty dangerous when you think about it. At my house, the router is not equipped with a firewall as far as I know and I don't use one. I play the odds. We don't make that much that somebody should be interested in us and there are A LOT of other people that could have this happen to them. Chances of a victim being me are very low.

I use Windows Firewall.

Erm... Well, when we didn't have a firewall once, we got hacked.
It can happen at any time.
Make sure your protected...

Back
Top Bottom