your opinion did i make a good choice

btcchris

Baseband Member
i just went into comp usa and bought an upgrade for my computer

msi k9n2 platinum motherboard

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3975887&CatId=2414

amd athlon II x4 620

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706

i also bought 2 gigs of ozc 800mhz ram it sais it supports 1066 but i was kinda out of money so had to settle for 2 gigs of 800mhz i will upgrade soon as the funds are available

i also bought call of duty modern warfare 2

and im running a bfg 8800 gt oc

my total with everything including tax was $280 the 4 prong plug off of my power supply is too short and will not reach so i have to cut the wires and extend them or get another one it might be a problem i only have a 250w power supply

Looking at BFg, it looks like your powersupply is too weak. If you've been running that successfully with that powersupply in the past consider yourself luck. BFG's site states that it requires
BFG said:
425W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 28A or more

yes ive been running that card with that power supply for about 8 months now but this processor is gona use alot more power than my last one... my last one was a 1.7 single core this is a 2.6 quad core... that and the mother board its self it twice the size of the old one

can i damage anything by using too small of a power supply even if im not gona run the game tonight i would still like to set everything up as far as windows and drivers for the video card and motherboard

i just contacted customer support on new egg and they informed me that if an item is out of stock it will show as "deactivated" on the page or it could mean they are looking for a new supplier

K cool, other than that I mean you can skimped out alittle on the board, and gotten a cheaper one to do the same thing, BUT that IS a SOLID board you have. So it will be a pretty good little rig. Personally i'm always pro intel(altho AMD finally startin to step it up lol) but in my opinion its whatever floats your boat. btcchris do you remember any [AKA] from CS:S?

It looks like to that it could be discontinued. The two that I looked at on newegg had reviews starting in mid 2008. That makes it an old series at the very least. However the reviews look very promising.

yes i do know the [aka] clan lol ive had to mute a few in game a couple of times lol there cool none the less

yes it is odd the main reason i chose that board was it support am2 am2+ and am3 socket sets i was going to get a am3 phenom processor but it was a last minute thing and kinda cheeped out a little but the mother board does show some nice upgrade capability's being it supports am3 socket sets it also supports sli

btw i have never had any experience with an intel cpu all the computers i have ever had have had an amd cpu im still open to trying things but i was also impressed with the price of the amd cpus being 40-100 cheaper for the comparable intel cpu

so do you think i can damage anything if i use too small of a power supply just to set it up because i dont get paid till thurs so im sol till then

Not not really damage anything except for over work the power supply. Mostly when you dont have enough wattage certain devices will not get power. But if I was you I would jump on www.newegg.com and get a decent 400watt for around 20-25$. Yeah amd is cheaper, but for the longest time their benchmarks have been lower, and most software manufacturers are pro intel chipsets and cpus. A do have to say tho again AMD has stepped it up in the last year or so, so who knows what the future may hold. Yea i was in AKA for a while, technically still am, but inactive, one of the older members bout year and half almost 2 years, so don't really know the manner of the players now lol.

yeah a few aka members have been hanging out in our 24/7 lila panic zm server these past few weeks no complaints they obey all the rules they just talk alot lol

Back
Top Bottom