Your First Computer

Why should they be merged? IMO, they are separate subjects, one is your first computer, the other your first build. For some, their first compuyer may also have been their first build but I suspect most of us did not build our first computer.

In that case, the first computer I ever owned had a 66MHz 486 DX2, 8MB of RAM, 400 MB hard drive running Windows 3.1.

My first computer and my first build in fact was the following:

Intel 386DX 33MHz
8MB of EDO Ram
Motherboard unknown
Some Matrox 4MB VGA graphic card
VGA Dell Monitor
Something like a 2X CD Drive
3.5" Floppy Drive
120MB HDD
Windows 3.1

It played Doom and that is all that mattered at the time. Still have Doom installed to this day and play it. Albeit with a updated graphics mod but still the exact same WAD i used to play all them years ago :)

my first computer was a BBC Micro that I was given when someone else was throwing is out. (I didn't have any peripherals. -hence I couldn't save anything)

my first real computer that was useful was a packard bell pentium 75 machine with a huge 8MB of Ram... (my phone ten years ago had a better processor and more RAM...)

it occurs to me that I got my first computer before some people around here were born, (but that's OK, from the looks of it some people round here got their first before I was born too!)

Wow all you guys are old!!!! lol

I'm only joking but the specs of these PCs are funny.

My first PC was an eMachines 270.
Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz
128 Mb RAM
60Gb HDD
CD Drive
Floppy Drive
56K modem built in

Doesn't seem all that bad in comparison with some of them on here.

Haha, my first was a Dell Dimension 8250. It had a total of 1 GB of Ram after my padre upgraded it constantly. A 120 GB Harddrive, an old old ATI Radeon 9000 Pro GPU. Mind you this was the TOP PC of its day, but was out dated in a mere 2 years :/ Oh, and a Single Core Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz. I took the CPU out, and I carry in my pocket as a token of how far I've come in the PC world :D All on windows XP

My story is very strange because I haven't had my own computer yet I'm only 15 years old and whenever I needed a computer I would just use the family's. This year I am going to get a job and save up money to build one.

Last edited:
My story is very strange because I haven't had my own computer yet I'm only 15 years old and whenever I needed a computer I would just use the family's. This year I am going to get a job and save up money to build one.

I was 14 when I got my Dell Inspiron 15R, took me 3 years to save up for, so that's a way to start. Now that I have a job, I use 30% of my earnings for my own spending, 60% I save for college, and 10% I give to my church. I suggest following the same so you don't end up like a lot of people and spending all their money once they get a paycheck

vintage_vesa_cpu.jpg

Intel 486 dx2 (with turbo to 66Mhz)
Dad bought it from a door to door PC salesman for $4000 when I was 12 with the promise that it was so fast, he'd never need a new computer in his life. :rolleyes:

The next day, I had it in pieces on the living room floor. My dad beat the crap out of me, but that started my love for computers.

Don't feel bad, I didn't get my first computer until I was 31!

Back
Top Bottom