"You can only install one device at a time."

prometheus92

Solid State Member
Hello.

I am currently running on an HP Pavilion 2.20 ghz 1gb ram intel pentium 4 processor 160gb HD.

Whenever I try to install my video card (ATI Radeon 9600) I keep getting an error saying "You can only install one device at a time."

I did a google search, and it said something about deleting a PreInstallFactory blah blah key in regedit. here's the thing: I searched my directory, and there is no such key there.

Help!

Thank you ;)

Prometheus

Was this "back-to-factory install" done using the HP recovery CD or whatever they are called? If so, I'm thinking that reinstalls the OS and all factory components including drivers.

Does the computer have an onboard graphics chip? You may need to disable it in the BIOS before installing the new card and drivers.

Yes, I did it using the recovery CD's i had to burn. I do believe it does have an onboard chip.

Any step-process you can give me on how to do that?

Try this:

1. Log on in safe mode, whilst your computer is booting up press F8 repeatedly, you should get a listing of boot options, select Safe Mode.
2. Once you are in safe mode and logged on as the administrator, right click on My Computer, then select properties.
3. Once in properties, select the Hardware tab.
4. Click on the Device Manager button.
5. Click on the + sign by your display adapters.
6. Right click on the onboard graphics controller, and select disable, not install. This will only cause a world of misery and woe. (You might want to click Remove instead.)
7. Log off and turn your computer off.
8. Crack her open, and install your new graphics card.
9. Plug everything back up, and close up the case, turn your computer back on.
10. Once you log in it should say "I found new hardware, gimme a disk,".

Back
Top Bottom