Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Yet another Service Pack 2 Issue

Hey guys. Here's my story.

I had Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 not too long ago. Everything worked fine. Then I got a bunch of virus and decided to re-install windows. The disk that I used was XP Home Edition (downgrade--I know). Everything looked good. Then I tried to download SP2. When I did, I get just passed the Windows Splash Screen, then nothing--blank. In fact, the monitor would even power down. This is my issue.

I can't do a system recovery because there's no restore point yet. I just installed this OS. I know it's not a BIOS issue because SP2 worked before. Any suggestions?

Once again, I'm running XP Pro (again, because the Home Edition crapped out on me) and it automatically comes with SP2. I get stuck just past the Windows XP Splash Screen. However, I can boot in Safemode (which is what I'm typing in now), but not in Normal mode. The Log-in screen doesn't even come up. Just a blank screen. Then my monitor powers down and everything. *sigh*

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm tired of this issue and would like my computer back. Thanks!

-Zach

Zachary21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Yet another Service Pack 2 Issue

did you accidentally download the xp pro SP2 by mistake?

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Golden Master

Actually, the SP2 is universal. It will install the files upon the config.

It looks like you've downloaded a corrupted copy. I had that thing too, and the best thing is to reinstall.

Yes, it's annoying. I know how you feel.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

I think its a driver issue, probably graphics. Like you said your having no problems in safemode (uses a standard VGA driver) but when you try and boot normally you get a black screen. Have you installed the latest drivers? If not then do that from safemode, also check device manager from safemode for problems
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Beta Member

Yes! I think you're on to something with the driver deal. After all, no drivers are automatically installed after a fresh re-install of the OS. I'm gonna try downloading my ATI Video Driver and see if that does the trick. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

-Zachary
Old 05-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary21 View Post
Yes! I think you're on to something with the driver deal. After all, no drivers are automatically installed after a fresh re-install of the OS. I'm gonna try downloading my ATI Video Driver and see if that does the trick. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

-Zachary
No probs, let us know how it goes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Beta Member

Well.. it was a display driver issue. And I am now in Normal Mode and everything looks good... BUT.. I can't run any games. BECAUSE.. my regular ATI Driver is not installed.. BECAUSE I can't install it.. BECAUSE when I try to install it.. it says "Cannot Install. Missing INF file. Try installing a standard VGA driver first."

So I checked my display drivers, and it says that I have two ATI Radeon 9600 Driver's installed (they were automatically there with the new install of XP Pro). One says ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series and ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series Secondary. But they're not functioning. I've tried un-intalling and re-installing. But the same issue occurs. I've tried uninstalling them, but they just come right back when my computer detects new hardware. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

-Zach
Old 06-01-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
Golden Master

Have you got any other problems in device manager, have you installed your mobo drivers etc?

Im a bit confused here, you say that your ATI driver isnt installed, but then your saying that you have 2 ATI drivers installed, can you explain what you mean.

Also, try updating windows.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
Golden Master

You could try the ATI Omega drivers, see if that works.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Beta Member

Sorry for not being clear. I have two ATI Drivers currently installed. However, they aren't functioning properly, because I can't run any games at all. And I had this same issue before. I tried to download an ATI Driver that *I KNOW* works, but it says it can't install because it didn't detect any Video Driver and that I should try installing a standard VGA driver first. so.*shrug* And no, there aren't any more errors in Device Manager at the moment.

I'll try downloading the Omega Driver and see if that does anything. Thanks again.

-Zachary