Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
Captain Pooka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Default Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

Alright, I got it pretty far worked down. Right now I have this.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811119104
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813121059
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819115017
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819115017

Other than that, I want a kick -butt video card . I don't really work in that field.. I wan't one with dual monitor support.. maybe quad if you can find a good.. Going to be doing heavy gaming though do you can go from there.

Power Supply .. I'm pretty sure I can find one of those.

On that motherboard it has PCI Express 16x slots.. but it says electrical on it.. don't know what that means.

Case says compatible with ATX mobo.. I didn't see any "ATX" mobos on newegg.. is that referring to something else?

And yeah.. I know that's alot of questions.. but I'm graduating this year, give me some slack

Thanks

-Q

Most wanted is the video card.

As for price range.. I wanted to spend about 150 or 200$ on it.. but I see they are really expensive.. So whatever is good just limit it at 300. maybe 350 if it's a nice one.
__________________

Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

That motherboard is very outdated and overpriced. And I no longer recommend the Q6600, but the Phenom 9850 Black Edition. It runs at 2.5GHz and outperforms the Q6600 in the majority of benchmarks, and overclocking isn't bad either. Lots of people have been achieving 1GHz+ overclocks. The Q6600 is finally dethroned.
And the best bit is that it's available for $235: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103249
And a 790FX is the board to run this beast on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130136
You get full CrossfireX support which is superior in every way to SLI.
Remember to get some 1066 RAM to take full advantage of the integrated memory controller on the 9850 which runs slightly faster at 2000MT/s.
This should be good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231144
For the video card, at this moment in time, I would recommend the 8800GTS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814134037
But the HD 4800 series cards will be coming out in late may and they are looking awesome judging by the leaked benchmarks.
Quote:
Case says compatible with ATX mobo.. I didn't see any "ATX" mobos on newegg.. is that referring to something else?
ATX is the form factor, all desktop motherboards are ATX or uATX.
__________________

__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

I definitely agree with what WorshipMe has said. And in fact I will be building an AMD Phenom 9850 set-up within the next month based on the Phenom 9850 Black Edition with an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe which has XFire support.

Thats the only difference.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
Captain Pooka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

I really kind of want 4gbs of ram so I won't have to mess with the computer for a couple of years. I know 2gb is more than needed, but would 4gb be worth getting? I don't know if the other 2gb of it would be used or not...

I was thinking 2gb sticks would be nice, but there is only one person that makes it.. don't know if they are a good brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=4GB+(2+x+2GB)

Ram page.

Now. Here is another option I am going with. I am about to look up water cooling... I don't know if it is necessary or not. Again, I am going to be running games.. UT and WOW, things like that. I was thinking of exploring a mini Tower... I don't know if watercooling ould work in those (I am about to look up how they work.. the brands and prices and things). Or.. if I just go with a mini tower with regular fans would it cool enough? Or should I just go with the case I got? And if that's the case are fans enough.. I mean, it is quadcore.. a kick.. butt graphics card (that I am waiting for until June) and maybe 4gbs of ram..

Power supply. I am about to look that up too .. Just did, onmg they are expensive. And Watts... LOL.. I don't know how much power my computer is going to need or whatever.. lol But watercooling is cheaper than I thought it was!


Worshipme, Thanks!! That's why I came here first! Plus, your stuff is cheaper!

Thank you so much for the replies you two!

** Super edit lol

Now, if I could I was just going to get the basic stuff first. Processor, mobo, powersupply, ram , already have hdd, keyboard.. all that good stuff.. I want to add the watercooling later and the vid card also.. So I guess all I need is the Power.
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Smartpart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 276
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

Theres no onboard video so video card is a must before you can run it. Water cooling is not needed at all.

RAM: 4Gb is not much more expensive than 2Gb. IMO get 4Gb then you will have the slots free to upgrade later if you want to.
Smartpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
Captain Pooka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

Well.. I have a Raedon 8800 (That's what I remember..) from a couple of years back.. I remeber playing UT 2000 on it though It looks kind of like that one.. it has one VGA and one DVI on it.. I can just use that one, it'sserving me well.

Yes, I guess I should get the 4g, but what brand should I get? I'm sure someone uses some brand and stands by it. Or should I just go with the cheapest one?

I'm going to stay with the mid tower because it comes in aluminum and steel.. someone sait that was good lol..

Ram link, 4gb 2x2gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=4GB+(2+x+2GB)

And the power supply ......

Btw, will be running XP*
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

Quote:
I was thinking 2gb sticks would be nice, but there is only one person that makes it.. don't know if they are a good brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=4GB+(2+x+2GB)

Ram page.
Mushkin are a brilliant brand. Don't hesitate to go with them, and you will see a positive difference in Vista if your are going with 4GB, but XP does not need the resources Vista does, so I recommend you save money and get a 2GB kit.
Quote:
Now. Here is another option I am going with. I am about to look up water cooling... I don't know if it is necessary or not. Again, I am going to be running games.. UT and WOW, things like that. I was thinking of exploring a mini Tower... I don't know if watercooling ould work in those (I am about to look up how they work.. the brands and prices and things). Or.. if I just go with a mini tower with regular fans would it cool enough? Or should I just go with the case I got? And if that's the case are fans enough.. I mean, it is quadcore.. a kick.. butt graphics card (that I am waiting for until June) and maybe 4gbs of ram..
Watercooling is only worth it if you are going for a high-end kit, otherwise it is often outperformed by the top-end air coolers like the TRUE and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. But if you do plan on doing WC'ing, then a mid tower is the minimum and a full tower is preferred.
Quote:
Power supply. I am about to look that up too .. Just did, onmg they are expensive. And Watts... LOL.. I don't know how much power my computer is going to need or whatever.. lol But watercooling is cheaper than I thought it was!
Make sure you don't go with a low-end watercooling kit though. And for the PSU, wattage is not the best value to judge one by, you should be looking at the 12V rail amperage and efficiency. Here is a very good PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817815001
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pooka View Post
Alright, I got it pretty far worked down. Right now I have this.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811119104
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813121059
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819115017
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819115017

Other than that, I want a kick -butt video card . I don't really work in that field.. I wan't one with dual monitor support.. maybe quad if you can find a good.. Going to be doing heavy gaming though do you can go from there.

Power Supply .. I'm pretty sure I can find one of those.

On that motherboard it has PCI Express 16x slots.. but it says electrical on it.. don't know what that means.

Case says compatible with ATX mobo.. I didn't see any "ATX" mobos on newegg.. is that referring to something else?

And yeah.. I know that's alot of questions.. but I'm graduating this year, give me some slack

Thanks

-Q

Most wanted is the video card.

As for price range.. I wanted to spend about 150 or 200$ on it.. but I see they are really expensive.. So whatever is good just limit it at 300. maybe 350 if it's a nice one.
first one 50 bucks wow and its a cooler master
yzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

If you do go down the water cooling route then try and select the individual components rather than buying a kit. This way you can select the best Pump, WaterBlocks, Radiator, ETC.

I won't water cool my current set up but will cool my next set up.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
Captain Pooka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Default Re: Yet another, but my first. New build. Advise on what to get.

Well, that requires upkeep. I am going to go with one of the "Highend" Cooling.

Now, the 50$ case as it is.. It has two fans in it. Is that good or do I need something more?

Thanks again for the replies!!

And worshipme.. I LOVE your style.. you disect my post and answer everything!!

Oh yeah, and If I get the mushkin stick.. will it mix later on with another 2gb.. say.. kingston stick or something?
Also, will different sizes of ram mix? It's out of stock :P but still a good question...

Alright, The computer as of now. This is what I'm going to buy...

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811119104
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813130136
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817815001
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819103249
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231166

Good? Thanks everyone!!! $694.95 (not including shipping :P)
__________________

Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0