Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Exclamation YARGGG!! Temperature Problems

Hey, guys.

Went into the bios on my PC for the first time today. Well, I was just playing around with this thing, looking at random stuff... when I saw:

CPU Temp: 55C
Internal Temp: 40C
Remote Temp: 39C

So, now im like why would i be getting CPU temps this high when my PC is idle?? it has a pretty good sized HSF on it with a side air duct, so i know its getting good airflow. I even installed a front fan, and it didnt bring any of the temps down. My room right now is about 66 degrees Fahrenheit ( 18 degrees Celsius)

Also, any good programs for monitoring temps? I have tried Everest Home, PC Wizard and Speedfan.. none of these work with my PC.

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: YARGGG!! Temperature Problems

FYI Bios isn't idle. It puts around a 60-70% load on the CPU. Your board most likely does not support any type of temp monitor programs.

Not sure what the temps should be with the Pentium D processor but I know previous Pentiums run alot hotter than the core2duo line. 55C is warm but possibly not that hot for that cpu. Go to intel's website and run a search for that cpu and they will list suggested operating temps.

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I didn't know that the bios puts that much load on it... that actually makes me feel a little better.... yeah, i still think thats a little warm, but it appeared to be stable at the 55C mark....

i looked at Intel's website. turns out that 55C is actually a little cool for the Pentium D 925's. It said average temperature is 63.3 Celsius. WTF? that is REALLY REALLY hot for an average... :/ thats kinda scary... but, hey, its rated for the higher temps and as long at it works, it works..
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

Sweet glad to here its running cooler than you thought! Ya mine reads between 39C-40C in the bios then after my computer is loaded up I get around 33-35C in windows.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #5
Wizard of Wires

Have you got a fan on the back of the case pulling the hot air out?
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

nothing to worry about, 55C for a pentium D is a decent idle temp.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Yeah, my dad's prescott is 60C.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

thanks for all the help.

@ Setishock: yeah, i have one of those.. also, i installed a front fan myself to increase airflow.

@ mammikoura and MikeReiner: yeah, intel's site says 63.3 C is average... i hate that the temps are THAT high, but as long as i know it is what its supposed to be, i am fine with it...
Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
Wizard of Wires

Make sure you HSF is clean. Blow it out with some canned air couple times a month.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Air compressor for me.

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote