Xtreme GAMINg pc, my budget is $2k

I would go with Vista. Service pack 1 has released. I really won't get the 64 bit. 32 is fine. With the 64 bit systems, there is less driver support. Sure you can use more than 2-3 GB of RAM. But, why bother when 2 is more than enough? The i7 is a great CPU. It's just not worth if for gaming. You want higher frequencies for gaming. A high end dual core will off you better performance than the i7.

I would go with Vista. Service pack 1 has released. I really won't get the 64 bit. 32 is fine. With the 64 bit systems, there is less driver support. Sure you can use more than 2-3 GB of RAM. But, why bother when 2 is more than enough? The i7 is a great CPU. It's just not worth if for gaming. You want higher frequencies for gaming. A high end dual core will off you better performance than the i7.

I disagree. Drivers can be improved. If he doesn't get 64-bit now and then he wants it later he will spend even more money. As far as the i7 comment, we've already been over it, and it has been decided that he will go with it. (if you want more information read the rest of the thread).

No Rohan! dont say that I'm about to buy it...

What he is talking about is the clocks. When I recommended you the E8600, it was for that very same reason. However, you've stated that you don't want to upgrade everything later and you want this rig to last you a good 5 years. In this case, the i7 is the best solution.

(if you want more information read the rest of the thread).

What he is talking about is the clocks. When I recommended you the E8600, it was for that very same reason. However, you've stated that you don't want to upgrade everything later and you want this rig to last you a good 5 years. In this case, the i7 is the best solution.

Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't see that post. There is good performance with the i7 in games. You will just get better performance with a dual core. I use a quad core. It's not a true quad core. Just 2 C2D in one chip. I do a lot of video editing. I still get great performance in games. The i7 setup will definitely give you results. It's just a bit more expensive to get it running. Since it's new technology, the parts are harder to find and cost more. I would get a sound card. You will get better performance in games. If you buy/have nice speakers, you will also get better quality. You don't have to spend $100 on one. The one JogaBonito recommended is nice.

You should be fine for now. The CPU should come with a stock heatsink. I would use that until they make some good ones because right now the current HSFs out for LGA1366 are pretty shabby. If you want you could pick up some case fans, but I think the Antec 1200 comes with plenty.

Back
Top Bottom