XP's Largest HD Question

Vandiyan

In Runtime
I remember reading a while back about XP will only recognize up to a certain size of hard drive. Is this true and if so what is the max it will notice? I just bought a 250 gig hard drive and was wondering if I would have to make a partition when I install XP. If I have to do this how will I do this prior to installing XP.

Yeah, I'm sure it would recognise it no problems :) Its not really windows you have to worry about. Its if you have the latest bios updates for your motherboard which would see that big a drive. Most motherboards make this a simple process if it doesn't recognise it.

I wouldn't worry though :) Chances are it will and you won't have to partition or anything.

I hope this helps

Ah right, so I was wrong in thinking that. Isn't it true though that all Windows now are shipped with SP1, and most people probably would have it?

A way to find out then:

Go to The Control Panel, then go to System.

Now go to the General Tab. If it says Service Pack 1, or 2 underneath the System list at the bottom, then you'll need to install it using Windows Update on an internet connection.

You can order Service Pack 2 I think from Microsoft directly though, and some magazines gave it away not that long ago.

I hope this helps :)

A 250 GB version hard drive will be recognized. My friends brother has two of them in his computer.

Yes you shouldn't have an issue with windows recognizing the drive...Although I firmly believe that you should always partition the larger drives into 4 partitions.( 4 is all windows can handle without third party applications) By doing so you will save wear and tear on your drive. as not all areas of the larger drives will need formatting or cleanup and also it will speed up the applications by having data written to a smaller drive there is less searching of the drive.
But that is just my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom